Possibly low ppd

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

superduck10

Possibly low ppd

Post by superduck10 »

I'm running folding at home on my gaming laptop, an ASUS G751JL. It has a GTX 965M and an intel i7-4720HQ @ 2.60GHz. I'm only able to get 17k ppd on this device. A few weeks ago when I was setting it up, it said I was getting 30k ppd, which I still feel is pretty low. The only hardware I have changed from factory default is that I've installed 24GB of ram making a total of 32GB, and an SSD as my primary hard drive. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to increase my ppd? All the software and drivers are up to date. I'm not having over heating issues either. While Folding the compute graph of my gpu in task manager is running at around 99%. I am also not running any programs that would impact it's performance in any significant way. As far was folding at home is set up, I have not changed any of the default settings with the exception of putting in an identity and team number. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong or missed something somewhere and this can be resolved pretty easily.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Possibly low ppd

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The next couple topics in this area of the forum have reports and links about low points and not getting QRB. They probably explain why you are seeing a reported PPD that is low. If that explains the problem, there is nothing further you can do at this time.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31775

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31538

There are several other topics about this problem elsewhere on the forum. Some of the fixes have been put in place, others will take some time.

If you want to check your actual PPD, there is a Bonus Point Calculator that you can use to input the WU Project number and TPF and get an estimated PPD - http://www.linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
superduck10

Post by superduck10 »

Thank you, I'll let it run for a while and see how it does!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Joe_H wrote:If you want to check your actual PPD, there is a Bonus Point Calculator that you can use to input the WU Project number and TPF and get an estimated PPD - http://www.linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php
I prefer using either https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu (which requires your FAH UserName) or https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu (which requires the PRCG of at particular WU). Either one will give you the ACTUAL PPD that you earned, which helps to determine if you're seeing inaccurate reports (there are some) or if you're actually receiving low PPDs. Pausing a WU temporarily reduces your actual PPD as does not using a qualified Passkey.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

superduck10 wrote:I'm running folding at home on my gaming laptop, an ASUS G751JL. It has a GTX 965M and an intel i7-4720HQ @ 2.60GHz.
I have almost the same laptop, but with a GTX 980M ... ;)

Is yours still running fine and cold while folding ? Mine is having more and more troubles keeping all these things cool ... :(

Did you choose to run on both CPU and GPU ? Which tool do you use to read PPD ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
superduck10

Post by superduck10 »

I no longer use the CPU to fold anymore because it overheats too quickly and only gets 180 ppd anyways so it's not making much of an impact. As for which tool I use, I use the FAH Control Panel.