New Folder. Are my PPD numbers good?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PortlandAmir

New Folder. Are my PPD numbers good?

Post by PortlandAmir »

Hi there all! I am PortlandAmir and I am fairly new to folding, started recently this last couple weeks. Wanted to see if you guys thought my Points Per Day number was good or could be improved.

My rig specs as follows(NOT OVERCLOCKED):
i7-4770k w/ Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling
16gb 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 780 FTW w/ ACX COOLER
Samsung EVO SSD 500gb

Screenshot attached
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: New Folder. Are my PPD numbers good?

Post by P5-133XL »

It all looks fine from what I can see. That being said what people are going to want so that they can make intelligent suggestions would be a copy of the folding log, including the system and config portions (click refresh before copying) between [code] and [/code] tags
bruce

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, PortlandAmir.

As a general rule, the client sets defaults that are pretty good at maximizing throughput without interfering with foreground activities.

Yes, you can tweak FAH, but it often is a wasted effort.
Sphinxxx

Post by Sphinxxx »

@PortlandAmir: It looks like you're currently folding on seven CPU cores. You may want to reduce that number to six, as folding on an odd number of cores sometimes causes problems (at least according to this: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-smp/#ntoc5 ).

Configure > Slots > Double-click the "cpu" slot > Change "The number of CPU threads this slot should use" to 6
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Generally, by the time projects have been released to full FAH folding status it is known whether or not a setting of 7 is going to be an issue. Assignment of the projects where 7 is a problem is restricted to systems not set to that value or the WU's are sent out with wrapper code to reduce the setting from 7 to 6. The first method is more frequently used, so if you find your system having problems getting assignments at 7 changing to 6 can get work from other projects.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3