Quick Units..

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

VirajTamakuwala

Quick Units..

Post by VirajTamakuwala »

I am using both Chrome and P.C. , my p.c. client units takes about a few days, but my chrome units are done in 30 mins....is something wrong... as well as it takes up a lot of bandwith is tht regular...
bruce

Re: Quick Units..

Post by bruce »

While Donors are welcome to choose any of the clients, they were designed with different platforms in mind. The classic client originated over 10 years ago when dial-up modems were still quite common. It was important to be able to download enough work that you could process off-line for a few days before you needed to reconnect. Today, most people have an internet connection that's always connected, so that feature is no longer important, but it doesn't hurt anything, either, as long as you fold 24x7.

The Chrome client is designed to appeal to those who do not fold 24x7. WUs are short so even if you spend an hour or two browsing the internet after work/school, you'll be able to complete one or more WUs. [There have been suggestions that Chrome might someday be ported to tablets or the chromebook but Google may never port NaCl to those platforms, so don't expect it to happen soon -- or maybe never. Even if they do, there's no assurance that a low powered tablet can do enough work to make the client worth developing.] On a PC, the Chrome client can also be run continuously, if that's your choice.

Running two clients concurrently is rarely a good plan. The classic client is designed to make good use of ALL of the unused resources on your PC provided it spends very little time powered down or sleeping. Adding Chrome will generally slow down the classic WUs, reducing the value of the science slightly and also reducing the points awarded. The ideal choice depends mostly on how many hours per week you fold.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Quick Units..

Post by P5-133XL »

Nope, that is normal. The Chrome client WU's are in much smaller chucks which works well for low-end CPU's or part-timer folders that can't easily complete the WU's that the v7 clients do. Because the chunks are smaller, it is also true that the NaCl client will transfer data far more often.

The range of computer capabilities is something that is hard to deal with in a one-size-fits-all mentality. There are people part-time folding on older P4's and Atom notebooks while there are also people folding on multi-CPU mega servers with over a hundred CPU cores. Issuing projects that scale well for the entire spectrum of capability is difficult so the clients have been segmented. Otherwise, the part-timers and low-end HW just are often not capable of completing an average v7 WU before the normal deadline and they get frustrated because they want to fold but can't.

May I suggest that at least for the CPU, try to keep it to one client or the other and not run both a CPU slot in v7 and the Chrome NaCl client at the same time otherwise they will complete against each other for the same resources.