Nice and renice issue

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ronnieross

Re: Nice and renice issue

Post by ronnieross »

Seems to be an interesting point of view on Computer Science: you can't slow down a process because of it executes forever and ever at the maximum speed CPU (aside voltage and clock configuration) can run.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

ronnieross wrote:Seems to be an interesting point of view on Computer Science: you can't slow down a process because of it executes forever and ever at the maximum speed CPU (aside voltage and clock configuration) can run.
Well, you can, but that requires programming in Wait states or other non-productive code. But basically F@h falls into the "compute-bound" type of process, it has calculations always ready to be done with limited amounts of other types of processing that would cause it to wait on. The client is set to run it at the lowest priority, the OS scheduler will preempt processing F@h for higher priority process that run.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ronnieross

Post by ronnieross »

Joe_H wrote:
Well, you can, but that requires programming in Wait states or other non-productive code. But basically F@h falls into the "compute-bound" type of process, it has calculations always ready to be done with limited amounts of other types of processing that would cause it to wait on. The client is set to run it at the lowest priority, the OS scheduler will preempt processing F@h for higher priority process that run.
I've found an utility, called cpulimit, that does the "dirty job" (maybe adding wait states or so...)

# sudo cpulimit -p PID -l 300

where PID is referred to the running FahCore_a8

It works.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

How does does the cpulimit command affect efficiency? If it causes a lopsided effect on folding speed, due to poor thread synchronizaion, then it might not be a good idea to use.
Online: GTX 1660 Super + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580
ronnieross

Post by ronnieross »

gunnarre wrote:How does does the cpulimit command affect efficiency? If it causes a lopsided effect on folding speed, due to poor thread synchronizaion, then it might not be a good idea to use.
Efficiency goes down: time for finishing job is circa X 3 (depending on final parameter you set from the command line).

But, this way, I believe you can let folding go on overnight without having CPU thermal issues.

(...)