Nice and renice issue

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ronnieross

Nice and renice issue

Post by ronnieross »

Hello,

I'm trying to refresh my Unix skills (from 30 years ago) in order to slow down my CPU that is working at 80/90°C during fah calculations, on my linux Mate PC, even with Folding Power set to "light" in Fahcontrol.

I do remember there was a tool called nice (and another called renice) build to set a process with modified scheduling priority: yes! it's here yet! :-)

But I can't see any differences using it or not (nice -n 10 '/bin/FAHClient'), neither trying to set all as administrator.

Any ideas about this issue?

TIA
(sorry for my bad english writing)
ipkh

Re: Nice and renice issue

Post by ipkh »

Process priority is not a fix for thermals. If the main thread is fah it will still peg the cpu durring its runtime.
You can reduce the cores used to reduce the overall load on the cpu. Bear in mind that 90 degrees is well within spec for Intel and AMD processors.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Nice is going to lower the priority of a process, if it is the only process, it will use the same amount of CPU as before you niced it, as no other process wants that time.

nice helps background process not interfere with user processes, that is why F@H already sets its priority as low.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

aside from reducing cores in a WU slot manually, you can also go to the Bios, and undervolt, or just disable turbo boost frequencies (this is the easiest to do).
It will reduce temperatures.

Other than that, you can optimize airflow in the case, and make sure your fans and heat sink are dust free.
You can also wipe off the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, and apply new paste on the CPU.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum ronnieross,

Assuming that changing the priority of the process will not change the thermal, what's your use case? Once we know that, we can potentially help you.

Please note that by default, F@H will use idle priority which you can configure to low.

If you wanted to share your system configuration and F@H settings, you can post the log file. Details are here if you need it: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Edit: Please ignore. See below.
Last edited by gunnarre on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online: GTX 1660 Super + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

gunnarre wrote:As an alternative to reducing the number of CPU threads to run, you can also use a setting in Folding at Home to use only a certain percentage of CPU time (the cpu-usage option). Whether it's best to reduce the number of CPU threads, or use the CPU usage setting, would be up to testing to confirm. Note that CPU folding benefits quite a lot from running many threads rather than just one.
Don't. The cpu-usage option is a holdover from the past and worked with an old single-core folding core that has been out of use for years. Its effect on the newer A3 and A4 multicore processing was to slow down a single thread, the load imbalance made them run very inefficiently. Both these cores are also out of service, and the newer A7 and A8 cores were not programmed to use that option either.

Best is to reduce the number of CPU threads assigned to folding or use BIOS settings to avoid use of turbo mode on the processor.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ronnieross

Post by ronnieross »

Thanks ALL.

Can't quote but I have read that 80-90°C seems not to be an issue for my CPU . Good.

Anyway I want to challenge myself finding the way to regulate the charge on the CPU (I've just bought a Barebone Intel NUC NUC10i7FNH I7-10710U, Intel UHD Graphic - running on Ubuntu Mate 20.04LTS).

I'm starting reading PantherX links.

I'll be back soon.
ronnieross

Post by ronnieross »

PantherX wrote:Welcome to the F@H Forum ronnieross,

If you wanted to share your system configuration and F@H settings, you can post the log file. Details are here if you need it: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
I've take a look in /var/lib/fahclient as mentioned in the site but the directory is empty: where have I to search the log file?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

ronnieross wrote:...I've take a look in /var/lib/fahclient as mentioned in the site but the directory is empty: where have I to search the log file?
Have you installed FAHControl?

Also, can you please describe how you think you have setup your system? Please note that the instructions are for default settings with the assumption being that those who change the default, are knowledgeable enough to "map" the information presented here to their own system.
ETA:

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
ronnieross

Post by ronnieross »

PantherX wrote:
Also, can you please describe how you think you have setup your system? Please note that the instructions are for default settings with the assumption being that those who change the default, are knowledgeable enough to "map" the information presented here to their own system.
Yes, fahcontrol is up and running (with "folding power" set on "light", if it helps) and my installation is absoultely "by default".
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Okay, in that case, you can get the log file from FAHControl. Instructions are provided in the aforementioned topic. Once you post it here, we can see what's happening :)
ETA:

MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

ronnieross wrote:Thanks ALL.

Can't quote but I have read that 80-90°C seems not to be an issue for my CPU . Good.

Anyway I want to challenge myself finding the way to regulate the charge on the CPU (I've just bought a Barebone Intel NUC NUC10i7FNH I7-10710U, Intel UHD Graphic - running on Ubuntu Mate 20.04LTS).

I'm starting reading PantherX links.

I'll be back soon.
While 80-90C isn't high for a CPU, it is for the other parts inside a nuc.
The nuc is basically your restriction.
Sometimes, when removing the top of a nuc, a 120-140mm case fan can be mounted on top of some NUC cases, to provide extra airflow (a 12V fan plugged into a USB port, operating at 5V is pretty quiet).
But the issue is a small and cramped space, and little airflow. The fan doesn't do justice to NUCs.
ronnieross

Post by ronnieross »

MeeLee wrote:
While 80-90C isn't high for a CPU, it is for the other parts inside a nuc.
The nuc is basically your restriction.
Sometimes, when removing the top of a nuc, a 120-140mm case fan can be mounted on top of some NUC cases, to provide extra airflow (a 12V fan plugged into a USB port, operating at 5V is pretty quiet).
But the issue is a small and cramped space, and little airflow. The fan doesn't do justice to NUCs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mke5i2H07dY

This seems to be a workaround for the CPU and maybe all of the NUC... :-O
ipkh

Post by ipkh »

You could probably go into the bios and raise the fan curve. A modern intel cpu can handle up to 105C before being forced to thermal throttle so Intel sees no problem letting the CPU get until the 90s. You can set the fans higher at the expense of sound.