How could I get better/ more optimal results?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Stevo4279
Hardware configuration: MSI K9A2 Platinum v1, AthloX2 5400+ 2.8gig, 4 gig PC2 6400 DDR2 800,
MSI R4870 T2D512

How could I get better/ more optimal results?

Post by Stevo4279 »

I am curently running a 3.02gb dual core system with vitsa dx10, 4gb RAM, and an MSI R4870 t2d512 running ati 9.1 drivers, have not tried the msi 8.501 yet?
what clent confuiguration would get the best results? I am runninng the vista console at the moment but I was hoping to be able to get larger WU's but all I get is like 511 each , sometimes less. its not that I do not get the WU's done on time, its that I saw the listed WU's in the post and I want to know how I can work on the medium or large ones? because they have more points/WU, I mean sometimes this thing gets a bit worm for my comfort its like a little heater, and if I am going to work her so hard I would like to see more points in the stat page thats all?
please help me! \
thank you
MstrBlstr

Re: How could I get better/ more optimal results?

Post by MstrBlstr »

AMD AthlonX2 5400+ OC.ed from 2.8gb to 3.02, IIRC....
-=MB=-
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: How could I get better/ more optimal results?

Post by Zagen30 »

Well, apparently the new Catalyst 9.3 Drivers provide a decent speed increase to ATI cards as long as you're not running XP; since you're running Vista, this might help.

In terms of GPU projects, there are only 2 types bigger than the 511-pointers. One is the 548-pointers, which give better PPD than other projects (at least for me, running a 3850) but which, I believe, are in shortish supply lately. There are also the 1680-pointers, but those are currently only given to Nvidia cards. Any other project is either going to be worth fewer points, and will be comparatively shorter, or is for another client.

About the most you can do is to set the advanced options for the GPU client to try to get Big WUs and have it be in advanced mode. Beyond that, you can't really control what you get, as it's mostly dependent on what the Pande Group wants accomplished at any particular time.

At the end of the day you should see basically equal points in your stats, as the WUs are supposed to all be set to earn equal PPD. In reality this isn't always the case, but at some point you have to just accept that your setup is different from the benchmark machine and different projects are going to perform at different rates on your machine. Your GPU is worked equally as hard whether you're running a short or a long WU, with the only real difference being how often the card gets to take a short break to upload/download.