Can I use 2 different GPUs at once?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GunnarT48

Can I use 2 different GPUs at once?

Post by GunnarT48 »

I wanted to know if I can put my unused GTX 970 in my PC alongside my RTX 2060 Super. I'm not currently using the 970, so I figure I'm gonna use it if I can.
I appreciate any responses.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Can I use 2 different GPUs at once?

Post by Jesse_V »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes you can. This should also be automatic. When you download the F@h software, it should automatically detect and configure both cards for you automatically. I'm currently using a GTX 970 and a 1080TI in the same system. They can fold right along with the CPU, no problem. Let us know if you run into any issues.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
jonault

Post by jonault »

If you're already folding on the 2060, finish your current work unit before installing the 970. Adding a new video card can sometimes cause the FAH client to dump a work unit that's in progress.
GunnarT48

Post by GunnarT48 »

Thanks for your answers!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Ideally the client should be uninstalled along with data after finishing the current WU. Install the new card and drivers, reinstall the folding client. Theinstaller does a better job of scanning for the hardware than the client by itself, and usually gets the configuration right.

Before uninstalling, you may want to keep a copy of your settings to use for copy/paste into the client after reinstall. Easiest would be to keep a copy of the config.xml file located in the F@h data directory along with the log and directories for the work files.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
lazyacevw

Post by lazyacevw »

FWIW, I just dropped in a Titan XP alongside my 1080TI, added the slot, and I was good to go (a Linux system). No risk in setting the current tasks to Finish however and just waiting for them to complete before the the upgrade.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

A reinstall is less of an issue after hardware changes on Linux, the same can not be said for Windows. Its device management related to GPUs has some quirks that sometimes do not play well with the folding software.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
lazyacevw

Post by lazyacevw »

I could see that being the case. I've spun up 4 Linux Mint based folding machines without much issue. When I tried to build a 8 GPU Windows based rig, I almost threw it against the wall. Still working out the kinks with that one.

Another small reason for everyone to give Linux a try! (as if increased PPD wasn't reason enough!).