Is The FAH Client Control Causing My Monitor To Go Screwy?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Alan C. Lawhon

Is The FAH Client Control Causing My Monitor To Go Screwy?

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

I need some [monitor] troubleshooting advice!

On my desktop computer, I have a KDS (Model # 2200W) flat screen color monitor that was manufactured in June of 2008. For the most part this monitor has worked like a champ, but after years of faithful service, it seems to be going south. While running the FAH client control software, (which runs continuously 24/7 on my desktop computer), I began noticing a [possible?] indication of trouble with the monitor. The FAH client control screen image appears “jittery” – parts of the screen image actually "shake" in an erratic fashion. (I’m seeing this screen image “shaking behavior" only when the FAH software is running and the client control interface is displaying.) Also, I have not seen this erratic “shaky” screen display behavior (in the FAH Client Control interface) until just the past few days, although it seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have set Windows XP to run a screensaver (i.e. “pipes”) after approximately five minutes of no mouse activity and/or no keyboard strokes. The monitor automatically “goes dim” after maybe 20 minutes of the screensaver running. If the monitor is dim and I move my mouse, the monitor, (after a bit of delay), wakes up from its hibernation. Now, when I move the mouse, (an action which normally brings the screen back to life), the screen goes blank and stays blank for a period of tens of minutes up to half an hour. Then, suddenly, the screensaver reappears and the monitor seems to be working. But as soon as I move the mouse, the screen goes blank (again) and this entire process repeats. When the monitor was dimmed out, I tried rebooting (several times) and pressing all the little buttons on the right hand side of the monitor - all to no avail. This “screen going blank” behavior keeps repeating.

I was finally able to get the desktop restored, (i.e. briefly visible on screen), just long enough so that I could properly shut Windows down. I’m going to give my computer 5-6 hours of rest and then power it back up and see if I’m still getting this “shaky screen display then monitor goes blank” routine. (My desktop box is now totally shut down for the first time in over two years.) If this monitor problem is only occurring while I’m running Folding@Home, I may have to quit running FAH (and crunching work units) until I can determine exactly where the problem is.

So I’m wondering: “Is this the end of the line for my monitor or is there something simple I can do to restore its function?” Also, in case I have to replace this baby, what is the cost of new monitors nowadays? Any advice or ideas on how to troubleshoot the monitor will be greatly appreciated. (I’m hoping there’s a simple solution to this [apparent] problem.)

Alan C. Lawhon
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Is The FAH Client Control Causing My Monitor To Go Screw

Post by Jesse_V »

Hey Alan,

That is indeed strange behavior. I'm not entirely sure what is going on there, but I am quite certain that F@h is not causing trouble with the monitor itself, which is just a screen that displays whatever the graphics card sends it. I don't think the monitor is reaching the end of its life, since the problem only seems to occur when running the F@h software. So I would take the entire monitor issue out of the picture here.

What you're seeing may be the result of the effect of F@h's use of the GPU. This involves both the GPU drivers and the hardware itself. In the past, many users have reported a reduced system responsiveness when running F@h on the GPU (there's negligible system impact when running on the CPU however) so the V7 client introduced a screensaver that utilizes the GPU when the computer is not being used. See http://folding.stanford.edu/English/V7- ... tion#ntoc3, http://folding.stanford.edu/English/V7- ... ion#ntoc11, and http://folding.stanford.edu/English/V7- ... iate#ntoc5 for more information on this. Perhaps the GPU drivers or the screensaver are slow to respond to your input. Perhaps the GPU is getting too hot.

What GPU do you have? What drivers are you running? What setting is the Folding Power slider set to?
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

I don't know that that is a monitor problem as opposed to a video card issue. My guess is that you actually have a problem with the video card and folding is stressing it a bit too much and a messed up signal is being sent to the monitor. There should be nothing from folding that should directly affect the monitor any different than any other application.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yep, need more info. Is the FAHControl being run in full screen mode? What is the screen resolution in full mode? Try running the program not in full screen mode, like half the screen.

What version of FAHControl? The latest V7.3.6? Even then, it would seem preferable to simply minimize the screen than to quit folding.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Alan C. Lawhon

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

Guys:

I've done some more "research" on this problem. It may be something really simple - as in my monitor being too close to an air conditioning unit that draws a lot of power. When I run the air conditioner, my monitor and a cooling fan simultaneously, I notice the erratic "shaking" behavior on my monitor. However, when I turn the air conditioner off, the monitor seems to stabilize. (This was not a noticeable problem until just recently as I was not using the air conditioner.) I think the power drain from the air conditioner and the close proximity of my monitor to the air conditioner combined to produce this effect. (I don't think my monitor, video card, or GPU is failing.)

I've figured out a pretty easy "workaround" for dealing with this issue. There is a power on/off switch on the side of my monitor. Most of the time, when I'm running the FAH client, I don't really need the monitor turned on - the FAH client can run just fine with the monitor turned off. Also, if I'm running my air conditioner, the monitor should definitely be turned off. When we get back to winter and fall, (when I won't need the air conditioner at all), then I can go back to keeping the monitor turned on. (I should have been born and raised up in Alaska, like Jesse, where you don't need an air conditioner at all!)

Fortunately this turned out to be not a major problem. Thanks to all of you for your troubleshooting suggestions.

Alan
bruce

Post by bruce »

Your theory about it being the power-draw is one possibility. It also might be the magnetic fields from the fan or compressor motor. In either case, you've solved it.

We once had a similar report of an 'OBSCURE' problem that was traced to a telephone sitting on top of a computer. It was one of the old phones with a mechanical (electromagnetic) ringer.