Missing P2653 points

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Missing P2653 points

Post by RAH »

Someone check this when you have time.
Project: 2653 (Run 8, Clone 185, Gen 34)

I had some power problems, and had to sneaker them out. Back normal now, but this one is missing.

Thanks you. :wink:
ArVee

Re: Missing P2653 points

Post by ArVee »

Me too pls. I finished and sent two 2653's on Sunday and got credit for only one. (1,146,34) and (30,153,35). Thanks.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

RAH wrote:Project: 2653 (Run 8, Clone 185, Gen 34)

I had some power problems, and had to sneaker them out.
It appears the sneakernetting somehow confused the server resulting in you getting zero credit for that WU.

Hi RAH (team 32035),
Your WU (P2653 R8 C185 G34) was added to the stats database on 2008-01-06 22:59:56 for 0 points of credit.

Probably won't work, but I would try to upload again from the original PC.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

ArVee wrote:Me too pls. I finished and sent two 2653's on Sunday and got credit for only one. (1,146,34) and (30,153,35). Thanks.
Hi ArVee (team 328),
Your WU (P2653 R1 C146 G34) was added to the stats database on 2008-01-05 07:01:27 for 540.7 points of credit.

Hi ArVee (team 328),
Your WU (P2653 R1 C146 G34) was added to the stats database on 2008-01-06 02:59:27 for 0 points of credit.

Hi ArVee (team 328),
Your WU (P2653 R30 C153 G35) was added to the stats database on 2008-01-06 06:58:56 for 1760 points of credit.
ArVee

Post by ArVee »

I had an EUE on R1 C146 G34 and received it again. While it was crunching away, I ran qfix on the first one and up it went. So if I'm interpreting this correctly, credit wasn't awarded for completing the WU in its entirety because partial credit had already been awarded for work that's in essence useless? That doesn't seem right and seems unfair in the sense that it's punishing the act of running qfix and then slogging away again to get it done right i.e. why bother to do the work properly and get it returned? (if points were the only motivating factor, that is).

Besides, I've run qfix before to get partial results returned and then completed the same WU just as above but received full credit, I've never had this issue before. I'm just a little confused, that's all. :e?:
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

ChelseaOilman wrote:
Probably won't work, but I would try to upload again from the original PC.
Thats OK! Be past the DL anyway. Thats why I sneakered. Two out of three worked. Hope they get to
use the info.

On with the fold.
bruce

Post by bruce »

ArVee wrote:I had an EUE on R1 C146 G34 and received it again. While it was crunching away, I ran qfix on the first one and up it went. So if I'm interpreting this correctly, credit wasn't awarded for completing the WU in its entirety because partial credit had already been awarded for work that's in essence useless? That doesn't seem right and seems unfair in the sense that it's punishing the act of running qfix and then slogging away again to get it done right i.e. why bother to do the work properly and get it returned? (if points were the only motivating factor, that is).
I understand your concern, but qfix is a 3rd party tool and the Pande Group doesn't support it so the word "punish" doesn't have any real meaning to the stats. They prohibit the uploading of duplicate WUs and if they've already received a WU from you, they're not going to award credit for a second copy.

Since the WU was completed successfully, it's probably reasonable to assume that the error was related to something you did. (Otherwise why did you allow the WU to run again?) In cases like that, you can avoid uploading the first copy (the one that was worth 540 points) by simply not running qfix.

Once you get partial credit for an EUE report, the WU is assigned to someone else who may or may not have the same error. When you upload a second copy, the server has no way of replacing your first one with your second one, particularly since someone else may have already completed it.
ArVee wrote:Besides, I've run qfix before to get partial results returned and then completed the same WU just as above but received full credit, I've never had this issue before. I'm just a little confused, that's all. :e?:
I don't think so. Are you saying that you earned 2300.7 points for a WU that's only worth 1760? If so, I'd like to know which WU, because that's clearly unfair.
ArVee

Post by ArVee »

I don't think so. Are you saying that you earned 2300.7 points for a WU that's only worth 1760? If so, I'd like to know which WU, because that's clearly unfair.[/quote]

I don't know, Bruce, it was a general statement. I've never had running qfix cause a subsequent unit to be worth zero, I'd have noticed it. As to why I would "allow the WU to run again", why wouldn't I? If it were sent to me I'd figure I was supposed to fold it and would only think something was amok if it EUE'd at the same spot or whatever. It was my understanding that running qfix and folding what I'm sent are both good things to do. You're telling me otherwise. Doesn't matter, what I'm sent away with on this is the message not to bother doing one of them in the case of a second assignment. I'm just not sure that's the right thing, that's all. I'm not a points whore, I was concerned about an inherent flaw in the system. As I say, never mind.
bruce

Post by bruce »

ArVee wrote:I was concerned about an inherent flaw in the system.
There are two systems here. First, there is basic FAH. If you return a WU, it will receive full credit if you finish it and partial credit if it is partially finished. The WU will not be reassigned.

The beta clients sometimes delete a WU rather than return it. Whenever a WU is deleted, the server assumes it was corrupted during download so it is reassigned, hoping to have it completed during the retry. After several retries, the WU is assigned to someone else. Since nothing was uploaded, you get zero credit, but that's the nature of beta testing.

Qfix is an entirely independent system created by a user. It often allows credit to be awarded after the beta client has deleted the WU, depending on a number of factors. By converting the "WU deleted" case to the "partial WU completed" case, credit is often granted. After the data is uploaded, the server will not reassign the same WU to you.

If, however, the server has already assigned the same WU to you (to retry, correcting a possible corrupted download) it's your responsibility to know that. Whenever someone suggests that qfix may help, they're supposed to warn you to avoid processing the same WU again. The qfix + delete any duplicate assignment process is a user-invented system that is independent of the Pande Group''s system for FAH. If you did not receive that cautionary message, I'm sorry, but there's nothing that can be done about it - - except perhaps to find where you learned about qfix and to correct for possible missing information.