Folding icon disappeared from taskbar

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DRPowell

Post by DRPowell »

Running Folding under XP. Icon has disappeared from taskbar but FahCore_82 and WinFAH still running in Taskmanager.
How can I restore icon in order to see progress, stats etc?
bruce

Re: Folding icon disappeared from taskbar

Post by bruce »

Welcome to the foldingforum, DRPowell.
DRPowell wrote:Running Folding under XP. Icon has disappeared from taskbar but FahCore_82 and WinFAH still running in Taskmanager.
This is a known issue. When your Windows desktop (Windows Explorer) crashes, it automatically restarts itself. FAH does not reinstall it's icon in new copy of systray. To restore the icon, you can shutdown/reboot.

There's a link to the stats in the top of this page. You may also want to consider downloading one of the fine monitoring programs from our 3rd party forum. They work with either the GUI client or the Text client.
DRPowell

Post by DRPowell »

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately that doesn't fix it because I have rebooted several times since it disappeared. Do I need to reinstall the software?
bruce

Post by bruce »

DRPowell wrote:Thanks for your response. Unfortunately that doesn't fix it because I have rebooted several times since it disappeared. Do I need to reinstall the software?
After the reboot, is fah still running? It almost sounds like you've installed the text-based client as a service (which is always hidden). I assumed from the way you worded your question that you were running the GUI client (winFAH.exe).

Is there a shortcut to FAH in the startup group? Which version of FAH are you running?
DRPowell

Post by DRPowell »

Yes, after reboot WinFAH and FAHcore_82 are shown as running. Task manager shows WinFAH.exe, also shown in Msconfig startup as WinFAH.exe. Version in Program Manager is 5.0.3.0, created 09/11/2004 (9th September).
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Video Driver Issue?

If the icon disappears but without a explorer crash (and it takes much effort to crash explorer in XP, FTR), then chances are you need to update your video drivers.
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

If the icon disappears and you don't want to take the time to reboot now, but want to see how far you've progressed with the Work Unit you are folding, you can view the file fahlog.txt, which will be located in the folder/directory where you installed your FAH software. Among the things shown in the log will be time-stamped entries (using UTC time rather than your local time) when each 'frame' complete and what percentage of the Work Unit is complete, similar to the pie chart in your graphic window.

You can also install a third-party monitor like FAH-MON (see third party software section of this forum), which will show you the %complete and an estimated finish date/time for your current Work Unit, similar to other info you could see in that graphic Window (but it's actually slightly more accurate than the one in the Graphic Window).
DRPowell

Post by DRPowell »

Thanks Jeannie. I will check out v00d00's suggestion about video drivers and if that doesn't do the trick will follow your tip.
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

LOL - sounds like a good idea! My suggestion addresses a way to get around the symptom of your problem, and VooDoo is making a suggestion to solve the real problem <g>
sneakers55

Post by sneakers55 »

DRPowell wrote:Running Folding under XP. Icon has disappeared from taskbar but FahCore_82 and WinFAH still running in Taskmanager.
Unhide your inactive tray icons.

Windows thinks it's being "helpful" but it isn't.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
DRPowell

Post by DRPowell »

Thanks sneakers55 for your suggestion. I agree about Windows being 'helpful' (?), but in this case they are not being hidden. It simply isn't there. The box isn't checked.