Diskeeper and F@H

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

KnughtRid

Diskeeper and F@H

Post by KnughtRid »

I was wondering how the automatic defragmentation option works with F@H running 24/7? Since diskeeper only uses idle computing cycles will I be able to run it along with f@h? Hopefully someone has run into this already ( searched but didnt find anything for diskeeper ).

Thank You
Mike

quad-core sitting here waiting to get built, so I dont know if that will make a difference or not. I am running dual-core SMP version now.
sneakers55

Re: Diskeeper and F@H

Post by sneakers55 »

KnughtRid wrote:I was wondering how the automatic defragmentation option works with F@H running 24/7? Since diskeeper only uses idle computing cycles will I be able to run it along with f@h?
My experience is Diskeeper sits there forever waiting for free cycles. F@H is more aggressive about grabbing the free cycles.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
bruce

Post by bruce »

sneakers55 wrote:
KnughtRid wrote:I was wondering how the automatic defragmentation option works with F@H running 24/7? Since diskeeper only uses idle computing cycles will I be able to run it along with f@h?
My experience is Diskeeper sits there forever waiting for free cycles. F@H is more aggressive about grabbing the free cycles.
FAH is specifically designed to use ALL free cycles. That's why it runs at the lowest possible priority.

If you divide computer tasks into two fundamental categories, FAH falls into the category of "compute-bound" meaning that it is always ready to use the CPU without waiting for anything except the OS telling it that it can go back to work. Programs that defrag disks or search the disks or wait for you to strike a key or move a mouse are "I/O-bound" meaning that they spend almost all of the time waiting for the disk to read or write some data or the human to provide them with their next input and spend very little if the time actually computing once the data has been read or written.

Compute-bound applications should ALWAYS run at a lower priority than I/O-bound applications. An I/O-bound application running at full speed and never needing to wait for some other task to finish using the CPU will only use a small fraction of the CPU processing power (because it's always waiting on something else) so it will not interfere with compute-bound tasks running at a lower priority. If a compute-bound application is running at a higher priority than an I/O-bound application, the I/O-bound will be constantly waiting for the CPU and when the OS finally gives it access to the computer, there is very little it can do before it has to wait for the I/O again so it runs EXTREMELY slowly. You must figure out how to do your disk defragmentation at a higher priority than FAH.
sneakers55

Post by sneakers55 »

bruce wrote:
sneakers55 wrote:
FAH is specifically designed to use ALL free cycles. That's why it runs at the lowest possible priority.

You must figure out how to do your disk defragmentation at a higher priority than FAH.
My impression of what Diskeeper does is monitor the system idle process to determine when to start. Since F@H never lets the idle process get control, Diskeeper will never start.

The only way I found to defrag was to start Diskeeper by hand.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
KnughtRid

Post by KnughtRid »

Bummers. Thank you for all the QUICK responses! I guess I will just do manual defragging and be done with it!

Thank You all again!
Mike
Cajun_Don

Post by Cajun_Don »

KnughtRid wrote:Bummers. Thank you for all the QUICK responses! I guess I will just do manual defragging and be done with it!

Thank You all again!
Mike
Hi Mike, You can use Scheduled Task to run Diskeeper, whenever you desire it to run, like after business hours, when main applications are not running. Then FAH will step aside for the used CPU cycles that Diskeeper needs.

Good luck.

Have a great day.