BOINC GPU app

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Henri Heinonen

BOINC GPU app

Post by Henri Heinonen »

Hi!

Please, could you make a Folding@home GPU application for BOINC (Windows/Linux) environment? It is already 2008. :eo

Thank you!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: BOINC GPU app

Post by 7im »

Welcome to the forum, Henri Heinonen.

F@h does not currently support that distributed computing architecture, CPU, GPU, or otherwise.

I think you might need to post that request in their forum, as that DC architecture doesn't support GPU processing yet.

Thanks.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Welcome to the foldingforum, Henri.
Henri Heinonen wrote:Please, could you make a Folding@home GPU application for BOINC (Windows/Linux) environment? It is already 2008.
The GPU code is still in beta and the new version that is expected soon will have several important new features that have not been beta tested yet. If FAH-GPU is ever made into a BOINC application, it won't be soon.

A few years ago there was a serious effort to adapt the FAH uniprocessor client to the BOINC environment. This project did not succeed but it did discover quite a few differences in philosophy that were difficult to reconcile. At this point, I don't see any reason why a new project is needed that would force a reconciliation of those differences. Both FAH and BOINC seem quite capable of running without assistance from each other.

FAH scheduling is much more demanding than the BOINC infrastructure is designed to support. In fact, the newest FAH clients increase the scheduling demands by using the full resources of a Quad CPU, a GPU, or a PS3 to return work more quickly rather than allowing the allocation of a fraction of those resources. That simply means that you need to choose which you want to support.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Henri sent me this PM. However, what Bruce noted above still stands.
Henri Heinonen wrote:Subject: BOINC GPU app
7im wrote:Welcome to the forum, Henri Heinonen.

F@h does not currently support that distributed computing architecture, CPU, GPU, or otherwise.

I think you might need to post that request in their forum, as that DC architecture doesn't support GPU processing yet.

Thanks.
Thanks, 7im!

According to the boinc_alpha email-list: "There is already GPU support, and has been since about the 5.6.x client.
It is up to the projects to use it though."

Sincerely yours, Henri Heinonen.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.