Projects with no descriptions

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ben1234

Projects with no descriptions

Post by Ben1234 »

I've seen this topic a few times (as a lurker on this forum until today) and it's usually followed up by admin telling the OP that they'll send reminder emails out, but for the last few years, when I do FAH, I've been getting WU from the same individual that have no descriptions.

Like any system FAH is open to abuse, and I hope it isn't as we run on good faith, but how do I know a researcher hasn't just decided to turn my spare computing power and electric bills into crypto as well as research?

Obviously adding a description isn't going to stop this, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that I'm offering computing power where the researcher hasn't even bothered to put the effort in to cut and paste a description. That feels like I'm being scammed. I stopped offering compute because of this issue before (to be clear, I changed the topic I supported from general to one not in the field that has the lack of descriptions).

This time I'm debating just switching to boinc or other charitable cause / compute effort.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: Projects with no descriptions

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Personally I don't worry much about it, and I've always assumed the oversight and vetting process for the researchers to be part of the program are more than sufficient to keep any nefarious uses from taking place.

That said, I'm not at all discounting how it may make you or others feel, and that there should be a process that prevents this from happening in at least all but urgent type situations that are likely rare. The perception from those that might be willing to fold should be a prime consideration if they want to attract new folders and/or retain existing folders long term. I can understand that nothing will ever be perfect, but in this instance having a volunteer that is considering moving to other projects is something the powers that be should be acting on.
Fold them if you get them!
Ben1234

Re: Projects with no descriptions

Post by Ben1234 »

Thanks for the response but I'm pretty much giving up on FAH now (cue memes about not needing to announce :D )
Community and teams seems to have rapidly disappeared (e.g. see dogecoinfah, down significantly on active members - Active Members: 387/20,972), discords and forums are now anaemic rather than academic. I know FAH has a new client in the works but for me it's a little late and I simply worry about running FAH on my internal network now.
BobWilliams757 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:29 pm Personally I don't worry much about it, and I've always assumed the oversight and vetting process for the researchers to be part of the program are more than sufficient to keep any nefarious uses from taking place.

That said, I'm not at all discounting how it may make you or others feel, and that there should be a process that prevents this from happening in at least all but urgent type situations that are likely rare. The perception from those that might be willing to fold should be a prime consideration if they want to attract new folders and/or retain existing folders long term. I can understand that nothing will ever be perfect, but in this instance having a volunteer that is considering moving to other projects is something the powers that be should be acting on.