GPU usage Fluctuations on Radeon R9 Fury

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Chrisfolding

GPU usage Fluctuations on Radeon R9 Fury

Post by Chrisfolding »

I have two machines I am folding with currently as I have worked to build up a decent folding machine and I have noticed a difference in the CPU Usage when viewed with MSI Afterburner.

Machine one is a SFF single GPU box
Intel Core I3-2120 @3.30ghz (4 cores)
4 GB System ram
AMD Radeon 7750
Adrenaline 2020 22.6.1
Windows Pro 10 22H2
Here is a screenshot of the graph for box 1
That machine is folding with the CPU and GPU and you can see the GPU usage is rather flat.

Machine 2 is an open air box with a biostar TB 250 + MB
Intel Celeron CPU G3930 @2.9ghz (2 cores)
4GB system ram
AMD Radeon R9 Fury (currently only running one in the 16X slot)
Adrenalin 2020 22.6.1
Windows 10 Home 20H2
Here is the screenshot from box 2 I have paused folding on the CPU but you can see the GPU usage is all over the place

I know it's not all apples to apples as they are working on different projects but I have watched this over the last week, and it has remained like the above screen shots show.

So is this normal?
I had used the 7750 previously on Dnetc but I expected that to just ramp up to 99 or 100% and stay there and I assumed F@H would be different but then when migrating over to folding, I didn't expect the two machines to be that different usage wise.
I wonder:
Am I in need of more system ram on box2 (I will be adding more GPU's)
Is there an issue with the driver? (I did get an error about open_cl when I went to test it on Dnetc)
Is the R9 just faster so it's not being used, Fully, all the time?
is the CPU too slow? (I paused the CPU folding and it seemed to possibly get a slight bit "better")
Both are running on the 16X slot so I wouldn't think it's a Bios issue.

Or maybe this is normal for the type of math being done when folding (as opposed to cracking rc5-72 blocks)
Thanks in advance for any help as I learn and build!

I did want to clarify, both machines are now currently folding projects from F@H so the screen shots are of the GPU usages while folding.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: GPU usage Fluctuations on Radeon R9 Fury

Post by toTOW »

Are both GPU folding the same project ? Each one is different on FAH, so unless you are folding the same project, it's not surprising to see differences in GPU load ... here's a list of the projects currently available : https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Chrisfolding

Re: GPU usage Fluctuations on Radeon R9 Fury

Post by Chrisfolding »

No they are folding different projects and so far have never folded the same projects but I have seen the same or very similar results each time.
One thought is that the slower gpu is being given much smaller/easier projects due to the completion time estimates?
I just found it odd that my “better” gpu seemed to fluctuate so much more than the lower end one.