Is there a new version of FAH for 2024?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AZFD

Is there a new version of FAH for 2024?

Post by AZFD »

How can I tell what version I have now? I have been running this software in the background for years now and it never has an update. How is this possible? Almost every piece of software I have ever owned has Software updates. Shouldn't FAH be updated periodically?

Is FAH still relevant with AI seeming to be everywhere? Will FAH become an AI program? How do we, the users, know if our part of a work unit contributed to a successful step in a process?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I have left my computer running for almost three years now processing something, but I never get any feedback. This seems strange. If we are contributing to a project that is supposed to help humankind as a whole, shouldn't there be some sort of feedback for the work or processing time we contribute for free?
PaulTV

Re: Is there a new version of FAH for 2024?

Post by PaulTV »

The current released version of the client is 7.6.21, which is fairly old, but a new one (version 8) is in being worked on, and available as beta. The client however isn't the part that does the actual folding. The 'cores', for both CPU and GPU, are updated now and then, and automatically downloaded by the client as needed.

If you open FAHcontrol, and click on About (top right) you will see the client version.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As mentioned, the client does not get updated often, and an older version usually still works well. The parts that do the work, the folding cores, do get updated more often. The client will download new cores as needed for the WUs.

As for automatic updates to the client that was not implemented based on user requests that they not be automatic. An older version of the client would show a notice that an update was available, that has been reimplemented in the web based control for the v8 Public Beta. Current released version of that beta is 8.1.18.

As for AI, that may help find stable folded states, but does not show the way the structures change in between. So it may get some use by researchers setting up projects. They still will need the calculations to show the changes over time under various initial conditions towards a stable folded state.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Please also see
News
Papers & Results