If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Fahcore_23 still broken on Windows 7 systems

Post by Joe_H »

smurfcorpse wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:38 am I would like to see this core updated/fixed for Windows 7. The client and cores are still 32 bit so I'm not sure what the actual issue is.
This is not going to happen. MS ended Windows 7 support over 3 years ago and even the extended security updates ended January of this year. F@h can't single handedly do support for an OS that is no longer being supported. The client may still be 32 bit, but it doesn't do the calculations, just handles downloads and uploads along with starting and stopping processing in the folding cores. The GPU folding cores have been 64 bit only for years, and driver support for 32 bit Windows also ended years ago.
At the very least can we stop core23 from being deployed to Windows 7 PCs so they can continue to fold the available WUs.
That is being looked into. But up until this time they have not done assignment limits based on OS versions.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ElectricVehicle

Post by ElectricVehicle »

smurfcorpse wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:38 am I have a Windows 7 PC that I just can't upgrade at this point. It's worse now that Micro$oft has dropped the free OS updates....
Bummer you're stuck with Windows 7 and Microsoft dropping support for it with no good paths forward. Fahcore_23 has been folding without any issues on Ubuntu with an RTX 2070 Super since I switched over.

I hope you can find a solution that meets your needs!
Fold On! (with 100% Renewable, 0 Carbon electricity) ElectricVehicle EV1, RAV4 EV, LEAF, Bolt EV, Volt, M3, s4 Simulator
smurfcorpse

Post by smurfcorpse »

The update to from Windows 7 to 10 is finally complete. Things did not go smoothly. I was able to find a Win 10 product key for 50 bucks. Was harder to find than I expected. The 7 to 10 upgrade was failing. After hours of web searching and several failed attempts I found a forum post about enabling TPM in the registry. I can't even remember where I found the answer or I'd reference the link to give the person credit. After all that, the update to 10 finally launched. I had to reinstall a lot of apps once done. Folding wouldn't launch until I reinstalled it. Then I found out if you let Windows log on automatically (no password), Folding doesn't seem to launch. I didn't have that issue with the old Win 7 PC. I found out if I launch the shortcut with "Run as admin", it would load the web client. I could close the browser and folding stayed running in the system tray. Once folding was up and running I stopped messing with stuff. I'll need to figure something else out. We loose power a lot and the PC used to restart and launch folding even when I wasn't at home.

A second system needed a new HDD so I could move files from the Win 7 PC. Just a quick note to others. If your system has a drive that is formatted with a MBR, You can't clone it to a drive larger than 2 TB. I Had a 4 TB drive I got on sale and didn't know this. The clone wouldn't boot. After hours of web searching and several attempts at converting it to GPT failed. I gave up and just did a reinstall. Nothing ever goes as planned.

Well my folding points are now up since all the updates which is nice. I guess that makes all the effort worth while.