GPU Disabled - Showing face with X's for eyes

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Re: GPU Disabled - Showing face with X's for eyes

Post by muziqaz »

Joe_H wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:27 pm
muziqaz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:00 pm Reinstallation shouldn't matter. And GPUs.txt would get updated every time fahclient finds new device which is not in current GPUs.txt file. But yeah, to make sure delete gpus.txt and restart the PC
GPUs.txt gets downloaded at installation or any time FAHClient restarts and there is no copy of it in th directory. In between the file gets updated about once a month, but the last I checked it does not get downloaded very time a new device is found.
I thought it pings the server for new file if a device is not supported, which would make sense
FAH Beta tester
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Maybe in the v8 public beta, I haven't checked that. But that was never implemented in the v7 client, just that beta GPU setting that was a stub for automatically adding GPUs to the supported list. That ended up not getting added to the server code.
Dylon

Post by Dylon »

I had no choice but to Uninstall and Reinstall the client due to not being able to find the GPUs.txt file, after extensive searching in numerous files. The GPU has now been found, and recognised by the F@H client. But, as muziqaz has stated, due to it being restricted on F@H side, it has no work. Maybe if they turn work into smaller chunks as I read some people suggest on the forum, this may change in the future hopefully, as that is still equipment that can be put to use.

Thank you all, I really appreciate everyone's time. the problem has been fixed. Have a great day everyone :)
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

I have looked up the specs for the iGPU included with your processor. Based on its processing power it is not a very good candidate for folding. It is about half the power of a GT 1030 which is about the lowest power GPU that can relatively consistently complete WUs from current GPU projects. There are a few smaller projects that come along and get assigned to the low end GPUs, but they can be scarce at times.

Some of the higher end Ryzen processors do have more powerful iGPUs included in their packages.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Dylon

Post by Dylon »

I think that website for GPUz is Malicious.... Since downloading it, I've found 3 malicious files. Only thing on my PC is F@H, Steam (for when i'm not GPU folding), and GPUz. I don't browse the web either, except to pop in here, and maybe Conflict of Nations. Can we take down the link?

And that's very good to know Joe_H, thank you very much for taking the time to look at that info and posting it here for me :) . I'll probably use this PC for games, and the odd GPU fold that comes through, and save up to invest in a computer that can be for strictly folding.

Does anyone know of any good Desktops for this? or recommend a good build? Cost isn't a factor, as it's for a good cause. Cost will only influence how long it takes to acquire the computer/hardware. I want to be able to do as many folds simultaneously as possible with one computer (CPU & GPU). If that means building my own computer with multiple CPU/GPU cards, so be it ;)

I am sorry for the hassle, if this is a question better suited for a new post, I'll be more than happy to make said post. If someone would be kind enough to guide me to where to post this question, it would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance :)
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

GPUz website is not malicious. Not sure what you are using for virus protection, but it might be false positive
FAH Beta tester
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

This is the official TechPowerUp download page for GPUz - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/. Though I have seen other sites listed as having it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

Joe_H wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:39 pm This is the official TechPowerUp download page for GPUz - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/. Though I have seen other sites listed as having it.
GPUz is there creation, isn't it? I always try to download things from official website instead of some 3rd party :)
FAH Beta tester