client offline time or calculation time window ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RolandK

client offline time or calculation time window ?

Post by RolandK »

hello,

i need to use electrical energy for additional heating or drying and have access to some really cheap old hardware with nvidia GPU.

as that heating demand may be very occasional, i'd like to know how long a FAH client may be offline until downloaded and processed dataset may get invalid and being discarded.

if a client downloads a dataset , for how long will it be reserved for processing for the downloading client ?

let's assume the client is online for two hours every couple of days only.

is such a client a suitable processing unit for FAH ?

i want to make something useful from the electricity being wasted for heat and i'm searching for some solution which fits to my scenario. maybe there are other projects i could join, if FAH won't fit ?
bikeaddict

Re: client offline time or calculation time window ?

Post by bikeaddict »

Each project has its own timeout and deadline set. Timeouts vary from 1-7 days and deadlines vary from 2-10 days.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

See the FAQ at https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/r ... me/?lng=en

These times can be viewed using FAHControl while processing a work unit.

For running a couple hours a day, another project using the BOINC client would work better. The timeouts tend to be longer and the number of pending tasks downloaded can be limited so they aren't sitting around for days and then expire.

TN-Grid doesn't currently have any tasks available. DENIS@home work is intermittent. Not sure about Rosetta@home or if it requires a VM. SiDock is partly based in Russia if you're OK with that. World Community Grid has had some stability problems since migrating from IBM to Krembil and doesn't always have tasks available. You may have to look around for something that works for you.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Timeouts very by project, and is the preferred completion time window.

. https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

Minimal time folding meeting those time out deadlines might be difficult. This depends on the hardware you have to use and how fast it is, along with what species it falls into and the size of the assignments it gets.

If you provide some information on the gear you have available we might be able to look up average project times, and see if you can find any solutions that would work.
Fold them if you get them!
Andre_Ti

Post by Andre_Ti »

bikeaddict wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:51 pm SiDock is partly based in Russia if you're OK with that.
What's wrong with SiDock from Russia?
bikeaddict

Post by bikeaddict »

Andre_Ti wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:27 pm What's wrong with SiDock from Russia?
Some may have issue with supporting a project based in a country where its citizens don't sufficiently protest the war and war crimes against Ukraine.

Then there is the Russian government and the Russia-based Internet Research Agency's history of cyberattacks against other countries. The government could potentially compromise the SiDock project and deploy malware to all their clients since executable binaries are pushed out and you have to trust that they won't do anything malicious to your systems.
Andre_Ti

Post by Andre_Ti »

I think you're exaggerating. This is an open source project (like similar ones based on the BOINC platform), the results are also published in the public domain.
Calcii

Post by Calcii »

bikeaddict wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:51 pm SiDock is partly based in Russia if you're OK with that.
Calculate what you like, I think the addition about being based in Russia is unnecessary, an attempt to divide science along national lines, and the essence of distributed computing is helping science on an international scale for the benefit of all people.
RolandK

Post by RolandK »

thank you for your replies, i will have a look at boinc then.

weird - i did not get any email notifications for replies, i just remembered my post and checked here just to find that there were some replies...
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

You need to opt-in for notifications that replies have been made to a topic. If you did, and still didn't get notified, let me know and I will look into it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3