Folding priority on multi use machines?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Folding priority on multi use machines?

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Just question for those that use their folding machines for other regular tasks. I'm seeing a trend lately that either the newer projects or possibly a change in Win 10 update settings allows for folding to be slowed down greater if running in the background.

Our system probably gets used at least 4-6 hours per day paying bills, surfing the net, my wife doing some memes and video editing, etc, etc. The trend has been that this impact might cost 40-100K maybe on a card that runs 1-1.2M depending on power levels and projects. Lately it seems when my wife is logged on it's slowing projects down a LOT more, sometimes 200-250K PPD. Being that projects are always changing, I'm not sure if it has more to do with the structure and function of the projects or more to do with Windows priorities.

Has anyone else noticed any change?

Just putting out a feeler, I might go ahead and change priority either in the client through configuration, or just change it in Task Manager.
Fold them if you get them!
JimboPalmer

Re: Folding priority on multi use machines?

Post by JimboPalmer »

Your wife is worth more than Folding.

Let her have the priority.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Some projects are more sensitive than others ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
BobWilliams757
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200

Post by BobWilliams757 »

JimboPalmer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:04 pm Your wife is worth more than Folding.

Let her have the priority.
I'm not going to let anything get laggy for her, though she might not even notice if I changed things. I know when I put the GPU in the system she didn't even notice that it was quicker as compared to the APU in the machine. Since she's just doing basic stuff, unless I really grab the resources from the foreground task it probably won't change much.

But yeah, I can easily take the points hit if need be, and it's still going to meet deadlines without trouble.

toTOW wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:49 pm Some projects are more sensitive than others ...
I've just never noticed this much points variance in the past, so wondered if anyone else had experienced it. I do know that some of the newer projects seem to be harder on checkpoints and CPU heat vs anything lately. I haven't changed fan curves in quite a while but here the checkpoint bumps in fan speed on some projects.
BobWilliams757
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200

Post by BobWilliams757 »

I did a bit more digging today, and might still try changing priority to see if it helps. On a few of the newer projects, the system is taking a hit of almost 30% at times, way more than the older stuff. But with some looking, it does seem to be only a few projects that are doing it, so not much of a concern. I might still change some settings to test the theory, but it looks like the older projects are consistent with their previous performance, so I doubt it has anything to do with a Windows update or such.