GPU PPD - NVidia vs. AMD

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Bud Specter

GPU PPD - NVidia vs. AMD

Post by Bud Specter »

Hi,

I was looking at the GPU PPD database (https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks) and was wondering why all the top places are taken by NVidia. The Radeon RX 7900 XTX does not even make the top 15. In other metrics (like gaming) it's comparable to a 4080 but even the 3080 or 4070 seem to beat it in folding. Is this maybe due to better driver support or differences in the GPU's design? I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and while folding is not a crucial criteria for selecting a graphics card it would be nice to know why some cards perform better than others in that regard.
bikeaddict

Re: GPU PPD - NVidia vs. AMD

Post by bikeaddict »

When they added CUDA support a few years ago, NVIDIA GPUs gained a major performance advantage over AMD, which still uses slower OpenCL.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/09/28/fo ... rt/?lng=en
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

In addition to Nvidia GPUs that are recent enough using CUDA and therefore a performance advantage over using OpenCL, AMD is moving away from OpenCL for calculations. Not all recent drivers have had good support for OpenCL. AMD is pushing towards use of HIP, eventually F@h should support that, but not sure when.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Bud Specter

Post by Bud Specter »

Thanks for the insightful replies! I will probably go with AMD so I hope they will improve the drivers in the foreseeable future.