Actual credit?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mwroggenbuck

Actual credit?

Post by mwroggenbuck »

I just started using v8 and I like the new client. However, I can't find how much credit was awarded for a completed job. I can find the base credit, but not the final result. The log file just says credited.

How can you find out how much credit a completed WU gave you?

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I did a search on credit and could not find anything.
parkut
Hardware configuration: Running exclusively Linux headless blades. All are dedicated crunching machines.

Re: Actual credit?

Post by parkut »

You can check any Work Unit here:

https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu
mwroggenbuck

Post by mwroggenbuck »

I was not clear enough. I want to know the credit that I received for a particular job my computer ran. I know that depends on how long the job took. With the v7 client, the log for the run would tell you how much credit you received when it uploaded. The v8 client just says credited.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The v7 number was just an estimate, it was not a report from the servers after the upload. They may or may not bring back posting an estimate of points earned in the log, there were a lot of complaints when the estimated and the actual points did not match. You can use the link provided by parkut to check the actual points awarded for any particular WU.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mwroggenbuck

Post by mwroggenbuck »

OK, I see how it works now. My Anti-Virus (Spectrum or F-secure) was blocking the results from the website from the link that was provided, so I was only getting an error. Now that I have that fixed, I am getting the numbers that I want.

I do have a suggestion. Could you print out the project, run, clone, and gen when you upload the result? This way I don't have to scan to the start of the run to find out this information, which is sometimes in a previous rotated log file.

Thanks for all the information.

P.S. Is there a link that would print out all my results for about the last couple of days? I found the recent cpus page, but that only prints out the last results of a given cpu.
Alex_Atkin

Post by Alex_Atkin »

Yeah the CPU estimate in v7 tends to be fairly accurate, the GPU less so. This seems to be down to delays in the server actually verifying the result and so you lose a little credit during that time, and given GPUs score so much higher it can be a big discrepancy.

What would be useful is if the UI actually told us the CPUid for the slot, so we could at least more easily identify which is which in the completed WU list.

Another useful metric would be if it showed the actual PPD for a given CPUid over the last 24 hours. Though a get this sort of information is a careful balancing act at not putting too much load on the front-end server.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Currently, you, the client, start each interaction with the server.
'I would like a new Work Unit'
I have a WU to return'
And this is safest for you, no unexpected conversations.

Getting a result when the server felt like it, would be a server initiated transfer. Much less secure, and having written client server software*, harder to switch between client initiated and server initiated interactions.

*so long ago there were 1200 baud dialup modems involved.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

JimboPalmer wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:02 pm *so long ago there were 1200 baud dialup modems involved.
Though at least by the time F@h started 20 years ago most modems in use were 33.6 or 56 kbps.

Still have an old dial up modem that still used a phone to dial the connection, at least it didn't use an acoustic coupler but connected directly to the line. And I have 33.6 modems for desktop and laptop tucked away in boxes somewhere.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

In 1986 - 7, I did communications programing for Honda Canada under contract. 56k. X.25 at the server, up to 24 simultaneous 1200 modems at clients. I personally owned a 9600 baud modem, but DataPac only had 1200 baud gear in remote locations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DATAPAC

Hónda Canada had 300 dealers, but the average phone call was 57 seconds, so not too much over subscription.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends