FaH not running

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Michael_Kaye

FaH not running

Post by Michael_Kaye »

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have some tech knowledge but not a lot!
I have been happily running FaH on a 2014 iMac with Big Sur. I have migrated to a 2021 iMac running Ventura. Folding at Home came across but it is not running. I have tried 2 uninstalls and reinstalls with no difference. FaH control says the status is ready and says FaH core is interrupted. The log records it is trying to start but then stops. I have checked FaH has permissions and it is excluded from the firewall. My FaH account is recognised after each reinstall.
I have looked through some forum posts but cannot find anything that can help me. I will post any extra information that may give your experienced users something to work on if you tell me what will help to diagnose the problem.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: FaH not running

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The F@h installer was written for older versions of macOS, see this topic for some commands needed to have it work with versions past macOS 11 - viewtopic.php?p=353629#p353629.

The other option is running the public Beta of the v8 client - https://foldingathome.org/beta. I have that running on my Mac Studio with Ventura. It doesn't work with Safari as a browser, I downloaded a recent Firefox ESR release and that handles the web based control fine. There is no separate FAHControl for the v8 Beta.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Michael_Kaye

Post by Michael_Kaye »

Joe_H, Thanks for all the information. I think I will try the public Beta v8 client version. It may be easier to go forward as Apple will be releasing future OS versions which could cause further conflicts with FaH version 7. I can download Firefox, but does it have to be the ESR version?
Last edited by Michael_Kaye on Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

It doesn't have to be an ESR version, I just prefer them as they tend to be more stable. Other browsers known to work with the v8 web control are Chrome, Edge and Brave.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Michael_Kaye

Post by Michael_Kaye »

Joe_H,
Many thanks for your help. I have successfully got Folding at Home up and running, using the public Beta v8 client version. I am running it thorough my Chrome browser. It looks like the FaH software updated the version 7 on my machine because it recognised my user name and pass key.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

It usually will read the config file from a previous v7 install, but that was not 100% in some of the earlier revisions.

Two items that I forgot to mention on the v8 Beta. First is that unlike v7, the v8 client currently does not disable sleep mode. So if you want it to continue processing in the background when your iMac would normally go to sleep, that will need to be set in the System Preferences. Your log will show clock skew messages corresponding to when the system sleeps and wakes up.

Second is that the client will not pause when a laptop is running on its battery or a desktop system connected to an UPS detects a power outage. There is an open ticket to add that capability.
Michael_Kaye

Post by Michael_Kaye »

Thanks Joe_H for all the extra information. All seems to be well on the new Mac and a quick look at the log just now does not throw up any problems. I do not use sleep mode. The settings are currently enabled to prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off. I am happy that the Beta v8 version is running successfully.