GPU full throttle, but CPU only uses 1 thread!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JEK81

GPU full throttle, but CPU only uses 1 thread!

Post by JEK81 »

I am folding with an overclocked GPU and CPU.

GPU is a Nvidia 3060TI Founders Edition which is folding great.

The CPU with client-type advanced set to 8 threads only folds with one thread same with -1 setting, CPU is a 10600k OC'd at a stable 5GHz.

Client 7.6.21

How do I get cpu to use more than one thread? It refuses to use more than one.
JEK81

Re: GPU full throttle, but CPU only uses 1 thread!

Post by JEK81 »

I found using bigadv helped.

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Both the advanced and bigadv options are currently not being used for assignments. I am not sure how they are handled by the assignment servers. The bigadv option has not been used in at least 5 years, it is probably ignored.

There is a known bug where the very first CPU WU downloaded by a fresh install of the client sometimes would be for a single CPU thread. Once downloaded with that setting the number of threads can not be increased until a new WU is downloaded. Then it will use up to as many threads as was set at the time of the download.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

cpu went through with wu on bigadv but i'll switch it.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/id/658607700

JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

Joe_H wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:26 am Both the advanced and bigadv options are currently not being used for assignments. I am not sure how they are handled by the assignment servers. The bigadv option has not been used in at least 5 years, it is probably ignored.

There is a known bug where the very first CPU WU downloaded by a fresh install of the client sometimes would be for a single CPU thread. Once downloaded with that setting the number of threads can not be increased until a new WU is downloaded. Then it will use up to as many threads as was set at the time of the download.
which option should i use for cpu? since bigadv and advanced is not being used?
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

I don't understand that bigadv option is not being used.

it's working on my side and contributing

16996 (2, 133, 258) 2 hours 17 mins 35341
Work Unit (PRCG) Work Unit (ETA) Estimated Points
I'm contributing to
Project 16996

This project simulates the folding dynamics of several variants of the TrpCage mini-pro designed by Niels Andersen’s group. We are particularly interested in comparing simulation results to high-quality NMR experimental data across many different sequences, to assess the viability of simulation-based computational protein design.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

JEK81 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm I don't understand that bigadv option is not being used.

It was announced over 9 years ago that bigadv was ending, the end date was in January 2015. The option is not doing anything, it may be recognized as an option by the client code but there are no projects set to require it on the servers. The option is being ignored by the servers and a WU with a regular setting is being assigned to your client.
JEK81 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:48 am which option should i use for cpu? since bigadv and advanced is not being used?
None. The only other option being used for assignments is "beta" and that is only supposed to be used by the recognized beta testers. That also applies for GPU projects. You can set the CPU thread count to as high as 11 with your GPU being present and having an i5-10600K. But I would recommend no higher than 6 which is the number of actual cores. Above that additional threads need to share the FPUs present in the 6 cores.
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

Joe_H wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:13 pm
JEK81 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm I don't understand that bigadv option is not being used.

It was announced over 9 years ago that bigadv was ending, the end date was in January 2015. The option is not doing anything, it may be recognized as an option by the client code but there are no projects set to require it on the servers. The option is being ignored by the servers and a WU with a regular setting is being assigned to your client.
JEK81 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:48 am which option should i use for cpu? since bigadv and advanced is not being used?
None. The only other option being used for assignments is "beta" and that is only supposed to be used by the recognized beta testers. That also applies for GPU projects. You can set the CPU thread count to as high as 11 with your GPU being present and having an i5-10600K. But I would recommend no higher than 6 which is the number of actual cores. Above that additional threads need to share the FPUs present in the 6 cores.
So the fah client has a cpu option to fold but its pointless to do? I am at a complete loss at this unfortunately.

So remove the cpu slot on the client?
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

I dont know. I just removed CPU from the slot, I don't understand why its there when installed and starts to fold.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

No, remove the client-type bigadv option, that is not what creates a CPU slot. In FAHControl the slot is made either a CPU or GPU slot by using the radio buttons at the left of the configuration window. The client-type option and its settings are optional and defaults to regular FAH WUs if not set explicitly for a folding slot or for all slots.
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

Joe_H wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:28 pm No, remove the client-type bigadv option, that is not what creates a CPU slot. In FAHControl the slot is made either a CPU or GPU slot by using the radio buttons at the left of the configuration window. The client-type option and its settings are optional and defaults to regular FAH WUs if not set explicitly for a folding slot or for all slots.
Ohhh! ok. See when i first installed fah client, i was doing cpu work through another app and removed cpu slot, then when i got done, i readded the cpu slot and thought those options was mandatory to cpu fold.

gotya! ty.
JEK81

Post by JEK81 »

and yea, i had it set on 6 threads and is set for readdimg cpu slot.