Account suspended due to spam.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

adrianxw
Hardware configuration: Intel 6700 CPU on ASUS Sabertooth Z170 motherboard with 16 GB RAM

Account suspended due to spam.

Post by adrianxw »

I am unable to get work from the project. I found that my account was suspended due to spam. I don't post spam, in fact, I rarely post. Browsing the few, (26 I think), messages I have written, I see nothing that could remotely be construed to be spam. I'd be really interested to find out what on Earth is going on.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Account suspended due to spam.

Post by Joe_H »

You are not suspended from using the forum, and your activity here is not used to suspend use of your username, team, passkey. or IP address when connecting to the servers for work. This forum while operating on a server provided by the F@h Consortium is relatively independent of the rest of the project.

What can get your access suspended to the servers are excessive connection requests such as to the project descriptions or excessive dumping of WUs. Or your IP address could have been identified as a spam source and included in a block list. You would hav to provide some of your log showing when and how your client was blocked.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

You are posting from an IP that is identified as a VPN, and that is blacklisted in multiple antispam lists.

That's probably your issue (although I have no idea where you got this message from). Do use this VPN.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
adrianxw
Hardware configuration: Intel 6700 CPU on ASUS Sabertooth Z170 motherboard with 16 GB RAM

Post by adrianxw »

>>> excessive connection requests such as to the project descriptions or excessive dumping of WU

Does not seem to apply, F@H simply runs by itself in the background. When a new project starts, I would certainly research it for my own interests and to communicate to others that either run F@H already or those I am trying to recruit, this, of course, is not a daily occurrence. I don't recall ever dumping a work unit.

>>> You are posting from an IP that is identified as a VPN

I certainly use a VPN, I have a very good reason for doing so which is unimportant to the discussion here. I shall continue to use the VPN. The reason for suspending me given was that I have posted spam. I have not. I resent the implication. I doubt it will make any difference, but feel free to pass on my comment to those who made the decision, along with my resignation from the project, and the good will I had shown it by recruiting others.
I certainly will not miss it. Even at the lowest level, it uses more CPU than I feel it should, and my BOINC projects pay the price.
Lazvon
Hardware configuration: 4080 / 12700F, 3090Ti/12900KS, 3090/12900K, 3090/10940X, 3080Ti/12700K, 3080Ti/9900X, 3080Ti/9900X

Post by Lazvon »

You didn’t post spam probably, but someone else using your VPN provider with the same IP (or subnet/range of IPs) likely did then. Banning by IP or subnet does have to be done sometimes for persistent spammers, at least on the couple of public forums I moderate for.
Folding since Feb 2021. 1) 4090/12900KS, 2) 4080/12700F, 3) 4070Ti/9900X, 4) 3090/12900K, 5) 3090/10940X, 6) 3080Ti/12700K, 7) 3080Ti/9900X

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

You still have not given any example of being blocked, or the messages connected with that blocking. As I have already posted here, you are not blocked due to posting anything here on the forum. If you had been it would hav ben logged or your account on the forum suspended or terminated.

Now it is quite possible your IP has been blocked for spam activity done by someone else. A number of ISPs in your region are lax in spam prevention, so also are a number of providers of VPN services.

Since so far you have provided no details, there is nothing to "pass on" to anyone who can do anything to change your connection ability.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 3070

Post by DocJonz »

adrianxw - I suspect Lazvon is right.
It is not necessarily anything you have done, but what has come from others who use the same IP.
I've had this issue (not in relation to Folding, but elsewhere), where my activity was getting blocked or recorded as spam. After investiagtion with the Host provider, it was other people who used the same IP that were causing the problem, causing the IP to be blacklisted. The solution for me was to move to a dedicated IP.
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
adrianxw

Post by adrianxw »

Somewhat ironically, I can use the forum, but seem to be unable to download work now!
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

There's no connection between the account on this forum and the FAH system ... if you need help with FAH client, please post some logs.

Posting FAH's log:
How to provide enough info to get helpful support.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.