Running a GPU WU on a Mac Studio

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MacGyver

Re: Running a GPU WU on a Mac Studio

Post by MacGyver »

Joe_H wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:20 pm Looking at the log for the running WU, it shows version 0.0.12 of the Core_A8. The other possibility is that the client and server misidentified which core was needed for the newer M2 processor and downloaded the Intel version for macOS instead go the ARM64 one.
You're absolutely right! Seems my CPU is misidentified:

Code: Select all

06:12:11:WU00:FS00:0xa8:************************************ System ************************************
06:12:11:WU00:FS00:0xa8:        CPU: VirtualApple @ 2.50GHz
06:12:11:WU00:FS00:0xa8:     CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 0

CPU: VirtualApple @ 2.50GHz, CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 0, OS: Darwin 22.6.0 x86_64
May I please ask you to report this problem to the people concerned? I'd also do it, but don't know whom to ask... Thanks! :shock:
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

I will look into it. Also not sure whether it is a client problem or a server problem.

I am assuming you are running version 7.6.21 of the client. I hadn't tried that on my Studio, went directly to running the v8 Beta release. Just wanted to get it up and running when I got it and didn't go looking for the instructions on how to patch up the v7 install so it would work on Ventura.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Joe_H wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:30 pm I will look into it. Also not sure whether it is a client problem or a server problem.

I am assuming you are running version 7.6.21 of the client.
Yes, 7.6.21 client. I don't know how to get the beta, installed from the foldingathome.org main page. I'd try the beta, would it be technically difficult to get it to run? I don't think I want to compile a bunch of code and run things via command line, if that'd be necessary :shock:
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

You can download from here - https://foldingathome.org/beta/. The announcement and support for it are here in this sub-forum - viewforum.php?f=114.

Not difficult at all to get it running, just download and run the installer. It will read some of your setup information from the v7 configuration files as part of the install. It does not have all features of v7 yet, that may or may not matter to you. Only thing it will not do is finish a WU currently being processed by the v7 client, so best practice is to set the client to Finish and install afterwards. There also is no separate control app like FAHControl, all settings are done through a web based control app. Browsers known to work with it are Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave. As installed it will not work through Safari, but involved steps to make it usable in Safari exist. Have not tried those myself, just installed Firefox.

Just one thing I have run into is that if I leave Firefox open with the F@h page active it holds onto the old log files when they rotate every 24 hours. That eventually causes problems with the client. So I only open the F@h web app when I want to check on the client or start or stop processing.

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Amazing! Will try that, thank you very much!
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Joe_H wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:30 pm I am assuming you are running version 7.6.21 of the client. I hadn't tried that on my Studio, went directly to running the v8 Beta release..
Installation of beta fah-client_8.1.18_universal.pkg terminates with an error, so I can't test it. ("An error occurred during the installation. Please contact the vendor of the software.") No additional reasons are provided.

Tried on macOS Ventura 13.5.1 with Apple M2 Mac Studio. Don't know, maybe no M2 Support yet?!
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The v8 install almost certainly failed because you only have Safari as your web browser.

Please read everything in the installer panels.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

You don’t need to read the very long GPL license
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

calxalot wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:15 pm The v8 install almost certainly failed because you only have Safari as your web browser.

Please read everything in the installer panels.
I also have Chrome, but Safari is set as standard. Edit: After installing Firefox, it worked! :D
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The installer expects a known alternate browser to be in /Applications

If your default browser is not Safari, it can be anywhere launch services can find it.
WesPerry
Hardware configuration: M1 Max 16" MacBook Pro

Post by WesPerry »

Bumping this as another Apple Silicon user hoping for full GPU support someday soon...
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

WesPerry wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:50 pm Bumping this as another Apple Silicon user hoping for full GPU support someday soon...
Someday -- maybe. But not soon, support could require updating the software tools used to include Metal support.