Folding at Home installation error

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FolderAdmin

Folding at Home installation error

Post by FolderAdmin »

I've allowed execute permission for these files and when I try to install fahcontrol_7.6.21-1_all.deb I get an error message saying "com.github.donadigo.eddy: fah installation failed, child process exited with code 100" and when I try to install fahclient_7.6.21_amd64.deb, it stays stuck on installing. Any help, please? The F@H Linux guide doesn't mention this.
PaulTV

Re: Folding at Home installation error

Post by PaulTV »

The current FAH Control requires Python 2, which may be what you encounter. At https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control you can find a version that uses Python 3.

FAH consists of 3 parts (atm): the fah client, fah control and fah viewer. The client does the actual folding. You can run fah control on another machine (a Windows box) to control the client on a remote machine.

At the moment, a new version of the fah client is being developed, version 8. There very likely won't be a new 7.x version for fixing that Python 2 dependency. There is no ETA yet for version 8 though.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
FolderAdmin

Re: Folding at Home installation error

Post by FolderAdmin »

Got it. That's unfortunate, I don't really have experience with remote controlling machines and don't have many spares lying around. Thanks for the info!