Will FAH server move to Penn after Bowman lab move to there?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

fz4z

Will FAH server move to Penn after Bowman lab move to there?

Post by fz4z »

Will the FAH server move to University of Pennsylvania after Bowman lab move to there ?

https://twitter.com/drGregBowman/status ... 0558416899
The BIG News
Delighted to share that the Bowman lab will move to @Penn this summer, where I will serve as a Penn Integrates Knowledge (PIK) Professor with a joint appointment in the Perelman School of Medicine and the School of Engineering! @BB_UPenn @pennbioeng
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Will FAH server move to Penn after Bowman lab move to th

Post by Joe_H »

Most of the servers are not at WUSTL already, just some are based there. The rest are at other member institutions of the Folding@home Consortium or leased/donated cloud servers. Too early for full details, I will assume there are talks in progress between Dr Bowman, WUSTL and Penn on exactly what and who is relocating. Some or all of the equipment may be moving to Penn, some or all of the grad students and post-docs may also be transferring to Penn.

I have known of a few moves of a professor and their research group from one school to another. A lot of details needed to be worked out, some were related to actual ownership of equipment used by the research groups. In some cases the equipment legally belongs to the university and may stay behind. In other cases the ownership goes with the research group, but they may opt to leave something behind if it would cost more to move than to replace after getting to the new location. Usually the students would have the option to transfer to the new school with their professor, but not all would take that option.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3