agri-food WU

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Thor

agri-food WU

Post by Thor »

Hello

Lately I've been seeing some members getting WU related to agri-food research (p18900, p18901, p18902.
Until now, they seemed to be confined to the beta channel, but now they seem to be in the public channel.

This research is certainly very useful, but Folding is supposed to be involved in medical research, so this seems completely out of order.

It would have been nice to communicate this instead of throwing out wus that have nothing to do with the original purpose of Folding.

When I try to get people to fold, I talk about helping medical research against cancer, alzheimer, not against parasites.
Again, the fight is certainly noble, but I just didn't sign up for it.

The minimum would have been to communicate about it.

So, will this diversification of causes continue?

And damn it, at least let people choose the causes they are interested in or not.
Personally, I'm always in "Any disease", but I don't like to be surprised.
And, as much as I don't, I see some people who might jump ship because of this kind of facetiousness.
JimF

Re: agri-food WU

Post by JimF »

Thanks for the heads up. I am delighted to see it. I will put another GTX 1650 Super on it.
Knish

Post by Knish »

hm, i don't even see the 'announcement' in the Consortium Announcements thread.

Am I wrong to have assumed all projects are posted there upon release?
Thor

Post by Thor »

Now they are viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37779
Lamberto Vitali

Post by Lamberto Vitali »

you can pick which things you want to run in your preference, no need to moan about getting the worng things
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

@Lamberto ... remember preference is not a guarantee - you aren't picking what projects your kit gets you are just indicating a preference ... if for whatever reason there are no wus available for a preference that match the kit requesting then another wu will be issued ... currently fah assignments do not have an exclude function
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

If Ukraine and Russia's grain harvest can't come in on schedule this year, we are looking at a global food crisis. Also the prizes of fertilizer have at least doubled due to higher prices of gas and energy - an important input to fertilizer production.

Personally I'm fine with folding for food related projects, but I understand the concern of some folders who joined this to fold for Covid and other medical research.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Lamberto Vitali

Neil-B wrote:@Lamberto ... remember preference is not a guarantee - you aren't picking what projects your kit gets you are just indicating a preference ... if for whatever reason there are no wus available for a preference that match the kit requesting then another wu will be issued ... currently fah assignments do not have an exclude function
yeahbut if you want to do cancer only and no cancer there, so what? You're doing as much as possible for cancer

sorry for late reply stupid forum don't subscribe unless I remember
Lamberto Vitali

gunnarre wrote:If Ukraine and Russia's grain harvest can't come in on schedule this year, we are looking at a global food crisis. Also the prizes of fertilizer have at least doubled due to higher prices of gas and energy - an important input to fertilizer production.
well if we insist on refusing to buy russian, we shoot ourselves in foot
Thor

Post by Thor »

Please, we are not on a political topic here, open another topic if you want to talk about sanctions against Russia.

Anyway, I don't think that the current projects are useful for Ukraine, from what I understand, it's more related to sub Saharan Africa, poor countries, which are not necessarily the priorities of the big groups.
But in any case, we are completely out of the picture.

My questioning was more about the fact that Folding, I remind you, is supposed to contribute to medical research.
Image Image

People install Folding in order to help medical research, cancer, alzheimer.... I think that the minimum would be to communicate if new projects out of this framework are launched.
And it would seem normal to me to be able to choose, either to continue to participate in all the causes, or to participate only in the causes with medical vocation.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Lamberto Vitali wrote:but if you want to do cancer only and no cancer there, so what? You're doing as much as possible for cancer
There is no setting in fah for just cancer ... yes you are doing as much as you can for cancer but you may also be supporting other causes ... you post implied folders can pick and/or choose what their kit folds which is not currently the case ... if any folder has an issue with a cause supported the only option available to them within the configuration is stop folding
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Lamberto Vitali

Thor wrote:Please, we are not on a political topic here, open another topic if you want to talk about sanctions against Russia.
well people choosing to boycott folding projects because they have something do with russia is on topic
Lamberto Vitali

Neil-B wrote:
Lamberto Vitali wrote:but if you want to do cancer only and no cancer there, so what? You're doing as much as possible for cancer
There is no setting in fah for just cancer ... yes you are doing as much as you can for cancer but you may also be supporting other causes ... you post implied folders can pick and/or choose what their kit folds which is not currently the case ... if any folder has an issue with a cause supported the only option available to them within the configuration is stop folding
but if i pick cancer i always get cancer unless cancer has run out, yes?
Thor

Post by Thor »

Lamberto Vitali wrote:
Thor wrote:Please, we are not on a political topic here, open another topic if you want to talk about sanctions against Russia.
well people choosing to boycott folding projects because they have something do with russia is on topic
Why are you talking about Russia?

This project is about sub-Saharan Africa.
Lamberto Vitali

Thor wrote:
Lamberto Vitali wrote:
Why are you talking about Russia?

This project is about sub-Saharan Africa.
gunnarre mention it, i thought the objection to non-covid work here was a russian objection, like going on with sidock (a slovenian-russian covid project)