project 18415 not given enough days

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

slonas

project 18415 not given enough days

Post by slonas »

PRCG 18415 (30, 1, 23)
project 18415

i was given 4 days to complete this but it says that its gonna take 5 days to do it
so what do i do will i just have to dump this one and go for another why wont
they give me more time.
aetch

Re: project 18415 not given enough days

Post by aetch »

Project 18415 has been on the go for at least 4 months, it's not new. There normally isn't a problem with it.

Check to make sure your system has processed at least 4-5%, normally when a system receives a work unit for a new project the ETA can be skewed.

Just dumping the project and hoping for something better is not a good strategy, it doesn't prevent another work unit from the same, or a similar, project.
I actually suspect your processor (from another thread - i7-1065G7) might be underpowered for the project.
FAH doesn't have the ability to determine processor capability, only thread availability so some projects have a minimum thread requirement.
Normally, for low powered processors, with hyperthreading, the recommendation is to adjust the slot thread/core size down to 4.
Advanced control panel -> Configure -> Slots -> Select cpu slot -> edit -> Change "CPUs" to 4 (by default this is set to "-1" which assigns all spare threads/cores to the CPU slot).
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Are you folding on a discrete GPU at the same time? Depending on the thermal solution, a notebook PC might be better off folding only on the GPU, or with fewer CPU threads (as suggested above) than on all available threads.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
slonas

Post by slonas »

im not saying its a issue with the work unit im just saying i dont know why its only 4 days to do it
but i understand other people got better hardware i run cpu and gpu at the same time.

just figured i would put the work unit info here maybe its the wrong section but i thought it would be good
i didnt wanna post it in the new folders section i wasnt sure where.
aetch

Post by aetch »

Every project has two triggers:-
Timeout - your work unit is assigned to a second folder to carry out. You will still receive points if you complete and return the work before expiration.
Expiration - Your client will dump the work unit and you will receive no points. All the work your system has carried out on the work unit has been wasted.

Project 18415 has a timeout of 4 days and an expiration of 4.2 days.
An ETA of 5 days means another folder will need to do the work, your client will dump the work unit and your compute time will be for nought.
Overall, you will waste 4 days delaying the progress of science.

We're trying to help you configure your system so it receives work it is capable of completing.

Not everyone is running high-end kit.
My quad core i5 is currently running a 2 core cpu slot , it's currently running a work unit for project 16955 (basepoints 4,040) which is about as big a project as that slot sees.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage