Fah Commands

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

gisaiashvili

Fah Commands

Post by gisaiashvili »

Hello

I'm curenntly building the application that will consume FoldingAtHome,

The idea is to make easier interface for users and encapsulate comlicated logic.

I downloaded and ran folding at home app, then decided to test some commands: e.x. Changing username. When I run corresponding command, username is not changed and some long process is started, I guess it is starting folding. Is there a bug, or I am missing something? Most of the commands do the same, running long process and not doing what they supposed to do. Maybe there is already topic about this issue, if it so please link, I could not found, or there is some guidline, will be hekpfull also.

Thank you!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Fah Commands

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The client software installer is designed to setup the software and by default start folding. Normal configuration is done through either the web interface that opens up by default in a browser or through the advanced control interface called FAHControl. Using commands from the command line is considered an expert only method and little documentation is provided. The main source would br the output from running the command FAHClient --help.

The main method of using the command from the command line is to have it communicate with an existing background FAHClient process by using FAHClient --send-command preceding the option being modified. Otherwise you are starting up a separate process, what it uses for configuration and storing work will depend on where you ran the command or what configuration flags were specified.

There is a defined API for programming third party replacements for FAHControl or otherwise monitoring folding. A page on that can be found here - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-co ... Client-API. Both FAHControl and the Web Control interface are open source on that Github site as well.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Re: Fah Commands

Post by bruce »

Warning: Do not try to "improve" the efficiency of your substitute client. FAH's server's logic will not work properly if you (for example) decide you want to queue up multiple WUs and redistribute them "more efficiently" (locally) and you'll end up with lost WUs.