[Solved, kinda] Strange crash/reboot and CMOS corruption only with F@H

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
ElephantFly

Re: Strange crash/reboot and CMOS corruption only with F@H

Post by ElephantFly »

Thanks for your explaination @muziqaz. So, it's still the CPU has hardware flaws and only FAH is stressful enough to trigger them ? My previous desktop with Core i9-9900KS never have this problem. I'm going to remove the CPU slot in my FAH. I hope this problem has never influenced my other works. Maybe next time, I'm going to use more professional hardwares for my PC instead of consumer-grade things.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

To be fair only select few 5000 series CPUs are experiencing these, and eventually through the help of excellent AMD RMA system you can get one which does not suffer the issue. 5800x3d has no issue either, and it has been released not long ago. I believe AMD did pay attention to it, because me alone done 2 RMAs, and count other people who went through minimum of 1 RMA, some even done 3-4 before getting working one. Some fixed the issue with various SOC voltage tweaks, or PSU settings quoted in this thread.
I have 2700x, 3900x as well which are folding 24/7 without any issues.
FAH Beta tester
Frontiers
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 5 5600x
G.Skill 2x16 GB 3200@3333
GTX 1070
Lancool II Mesh Perf.
Linux Mint 21.3
some drives, some cooler, some peripherials

Post by Frontiers »

Marius wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:59 am It might be worth mentioning that I did not overclock the CPU or GPU, and that the temps for the CPU were about 70C when running all 32 threads, which is acceptable. The GPU was around 82C, which is also in the acceptable range.
I don't think that 82C at GPU is in acceptable range for any reasons.
It means 2 things: a) GPU's Tjunction may be close to 100 or even higher b) GPU's sides exhausting air is pretty hot - which can overheat system RAM when flying to top.
You may try another 3 things:
- place box to right wall with left wall detached and opened - to exclude system RAM overheating with EVGA exhaust warm air
- power limit your 3080 ti to under 300 watts and set her fans to higher rpms for better GPUs temperatures
- set top front fan to higher rpms for better airflow over system RAM
I wonder what GPU's VRM and memory temperatures you have when chip temp sustained at 82C, it's good if they not close to 90 and 100 accordingly.
For my taste acceptable range for GPU is 65-75C, and really good is under 65C.
Also check exhaust fans rpm settings in UEFI, during summers it should be at least at 1000 rpms for 140 fans and 1300 rpms for 120 fans, higher is better but all depends on owners tastes.
FrankMB

Post by FrankMB »

Here is a final update on my crashing in Folding @ Home on my 5950X with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.

After changing almost every component (SSD, RAM, PSU, GPU), using stock clocks and even undervolting the CPU (ECO mode) I changed the motherboard. I installed the same system, same CPU/GPU/RAM/PSU/SSD on a MSI X570 Meg ACE Max. Problem solved!!! My system is now finally stable at stock or overclocked using Folding @ Home. Do not ask me why. Too bad, I loved that Gigabyte motherboard!

So my Gigabyte motherboard was the culprit, not the 5950X or the F@H software. Thanks everyone for your help!
Marius

Post by Marius »

@FrankMB
Thanks for sharing your results, and thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. I have been busy with work lately and wasn't able to post. I was wrong about this being a software issue. The fact by changing the MB alone fixes the problem seems to confirm one of my more recent suspicions, that the Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master MB had some problems with power delivery at the high end, perhaps. I have updated my system to an AMD 7950X, a new MB from Asus and new DDR5 from G.Skill. The CPU cooler, the power supply, the storage devices and the 3080 Ti GPU are still the same from the previous system, but I have been able to "fold" without problems for several days now.