Both gpus disabled

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mevinyavin

Both gpus disabled

Post by mevinyavin »

Hello, everyone. I installed F@H after reading an article on it in MaximumPC Magazine, and had a few blissful days of folding. I even ordered a laptop cooler pad on Amazon (it took two weeks, I live in Israel) so I could fold without being worried about temperatures. However, now I am being told that my GPUs are both disabled.
Laptop: ASUS GU502IU, Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660 TI MQ and Radeon integrated graphics.
History, to the best of my memory: The first few rounds of folding went smoothly, but I started getting tasks that my CPU could not finish on time, so I paused it after a job and left it that way. I also didn't like the temperatures when the integrated GPU was running, so I removed it in advanced settings. I ran a few rounds of the 1660TI and I now have about 1,267,000 points, but now both GPUs are reading as disabled. (The CPU is active but has not received jobs, not that I care if the jobs it gets cannot be finished on time.)

Does anyone know what I can do to enable the 1660TI again?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Both gpus disabled

Post by Joe_H »

One of the most common reasons for a GPU to become disabled on a Windows machine is Windows Update running and automatically updating the drivers. The ones supplied by MS are usually just video drivers and do not include the necessary support for OpenCL and CUDA processing on GPUs.

The other thing that can cause problems on a laptop is if it include nVidia Optiimus technology to handle switching between use of the integrated GPU and the discrete one. Depending on the exact implementation, you may need to enable use of the GTX 1660 full time. If it is disabled during F@h GPU processing, that will cause the folding core to crash and if that happens enough times the slot gets disabled for excessive errors.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mevinyavin

Post by mevinyavin »

The second option sounds more likely. When on battery, I get prompts from Asus software to disable the dedicated graphics. I don't do it when Folding is running, though. Still, digging into my settings, I discovered that Windows is now deciding when programs use what.
What can I do if this is the case? How can I enable the 1660 again?
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

You can force the use of the 1660 in the Nvidia control panel: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-t ... te-GPUs/97

After doing that you could delete the disabled slot, save the configuration, and then re-add them. Alternatively, delete both GPU slots and restart the computer, and FoldingAtHome should re-add them automatically if you haven't set "gpu=false" in the configuration.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

Here is how to post a log, so we make better informed advice
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends