FAH Client: No available GPU's??

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

annefrancis11

FAH Client: No available GPU's??

Post by annefrancis11 »

I've never seen this one before... The FAH client only sees the CPU and does not see the GPU's... Games are working fine and I've tried reinstalling the drivers w/ no luck... also a weird issue the windows gadget GPU meter does not see the GPU's either which is odd. I've never had to do anything special for them to show up.

Any ideas? Thanks!
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: FAH Client: No available GPU's??

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Is this a common GPU that you know is supported on the whitelist?

The more specifics you post the better the chance that someone can help you quickly.
Fold them if you get them!
aetch

Post by aetch »

Can you post the first few hundred lines of your log.
There are some settings which can prevent GPUs from being configured.
There has also been the odd occasion where GPU entries have been mistakenly erased from the GPU.txt file.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
wagnerdalcin

Post by wagnerdalcin »

Same issue here: suddenly F@H wouldnt detect my GPU. I tried a fresh reinstall of F@H, intel drivers and even a fresh windows install wouldnt help. I've an Intel Iris Xe that would fold normally before. Any insights?

Code: Select all

11:16:00:******************************* System ********************************
11:16:00:            CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
11:16:00:         CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1
11:16:00:           CPUs: 8
11:16:00:         Memory: 15.64GiB
11:16:00:    Free Memory: 7.83GiB
11:16:00:        Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
11:16:00:     OS Version: 6.2
11:16:00:    Has Battery: false
11:16:00:     On Battery: false
11:16:00:     UTC Offset: -3
11:16:00:            PID: 10664
11:16:00:            CWD: C:\Users\wagnerdalcin\AppData\Local\Programs\theta-pgn
11:16:00:  Win32 Service: false
11:16:00:             OS: Windows 10 Home
11:16:00:        OS Arch: AMD64
11:16:00:           GPUs: 0
11:16:00:           CUDA: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'nvcuda.dll': Não
11:16:00:                 foi possível encontrar o módulo especificado.
11:16:00:
11:16:00:OpenCL Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:NA Slot:NA Compute:3.0 Driver:30.0
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Is "gpu-beta" set to true. In the FAH expert options?

It is possible that there's an error in GPUs.txt, in which case we need the hex codes for your card to check: How to get them: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26208#p262894

More support for Intel GPUs in this subforum: viewforum.php?f=111
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
wagnerdalcin

Post by wagnerdalcin »

Yes, gpu-beta is set to true.

Here is the lspci outpput:

0x8086:0x9a49:0:2:0:Intel Corporation:Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Xe can't run FAH, they don't support hardware double precision computations and software emulation is not stable enough for FAH.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Oh, so Xe used to be enabled, but it's disabled due to instability?
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
wagnerdalcin

Post by wagnerdalcin »

Xe can't run FAH, they don't support hardware double precision computations and software emulation is not stable enough for FAH.
Like i said, it was folding normally till the software stopped detecting the card ... cant seee that as a valid explanation to why the card stopped being detected at all ...
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

wagnerdalcin wrote:
Like i said, it was folding normally till the software stopped detecting the card ... cant seee that as a valid explanation to why the card stopped being detected at all ...
Would have to see the older logs that show the Xe folding to see what the client was actually doing. There are some beta benchmark WUs that may have run to see what the GPU was if it was not already in the GPUs.txt file.

Current minimum requirements for folding are support for at least OpenCL 1.2 and double precision (FP64) calculations in hardware. Earlier generations of Intel iGPUs included FP64 support, they dropped that with the latest generation Xe iGPU. Their discrete GPU cards based on the Xe tech should have FP64 support, but the rest will only have it through software support in the driver. Drivers supplied so far have not been stable enough doing double precision.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
aetch

Post by aetch »

Sorry to jump in.

This confused me.
Joe_H wrote:There are some beta benchmark WUs that may have run to see what the GPU was if it was not already in the GPUs.txt file.
My understanding is that GPUs have to be on the GPU.txt file before we can create a slot with them.
Only then could a work unit of any description run on them.

We already have a steady stream of threads asking for GPUs to be whitelisted.
Running a work unit to check for missing cards just doesn't make sense to me.

ImageImage
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

aetch wrote:Sorry to jump in.

This confused me.
Joe_H wrote:There are some beta benchmark WUs that may have run to see what the GPU was if it was not already in the GPUs.txt file.
My understanding is that GPUs have to be on the GPU.txt file before we can create a slot with them.
Only then could a work unit of any description run on them.

We already have a steady stream of threads asking for GPUs to be whitelisted.
Running a work unit to check for missing cards just doesn't make sense to me.
The recent client updates include detection code to find any GPU. As part of a new method being implemented to automate adding new GPUs to the list of usable ones, the client will add a slot for a GPU not already present in the list and leave it disabled. There will be a message in the log with the message that enabling gpu-beta will allow the GPU to get test WUs. On the server end results from these assignments get used to add GPUs to the list without needing manual entries.

So at this point some GPUs are still being added manually, but others may get added through the automated process. From what I understand it still has some bugs and does not always work. In addition sometimes the test WUs are not available, the gpu-beta enabled folding slot will not get a WU assigned when it requests one.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'm not sure it works like this ...

- A GPU that is not in GPUs.txt or that is listed as species 0 will not create a GPU slot.
- A GPU that is in the list with species 1 will create the slot, but leaves it as Disabled by default. It will issue a message that you can force it fold with gpu-beta=true flag. It will run benchmark WUs.
- A GPU that is in the list with species > 1 will create the slot and fold normally.

The ultimate goal here is that the only manual task will be to add new GPUs as species 1, and the benchmark process will automatically classify new GPUs into species. Unfortunately, this automatic classification is not in place yet.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
wagnerdalcin

Post by wagnerdalcin »

Here is the line from GPU.txt

0x8086:0x9a49:0:2:TGL GT2 [Iris(R) Iris Xe Graphics]

As you can see, an Iris Xe with matching hex codes is whitelisted... therefore, i feel the GPu should, at least, be detected at the start of FAH ...

Would have to see the older logs that show the Xe folding to see what the client was actually doing. There are some beta benchmark WUs that may have run to see what the GPU was if it was not already in the GPUs.txt file.
I dont have them anymore ... in the process of trying to resolve the issue, i tried a fresh install of FAh and then a fresh install of Windows (thinking it would be due to a faulty GPU driver update)
aetch

Post by aetch »

I just did a fresh download of the GPU.txt file, the current entry is

0x8086:0x9a49:0:0:TGL GT2 [Iris(R) Iris Xe Graphics]
A quick breakdown:-
0x8086 - vendor ID, in this case Intel
0x9a49 - Product ID
0:0 - this is a FAH designation for manufacturer and species. Manufacturer Index [AMD = 1, NVidia = 2, Intel = 3]. Species [A range of 1-8]. Both being "0" basically means FAH has deemed the card unsuitable for folding.
TGL GT2 [Iris(R) Iris Xe Graphics] - GPU description

My guess is that the card has been tested, you might have been one of the guinea pigs, it was found unsuitable and the card was disabled.

ImageImage