Port forwarding issues

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ohara

Port forwarding issues

Post by ohara »

Hi,

There is a public webserver in my network, a typical dst-nat port forwarding rule is enabled on the router on destination port 80 and server port 80, so that people from outside the network can connect to the webserver. When this rule is enabled, none of my folding units in the local network is able to get new work assignments (please see error message from the logs below). When I turn off the port forwarding rule on my router, each local network unit is able to get work assignments again. Can anyone shed some light on that? Why is FAH failing to get WAs if there is a webserver in the network and port forwarding enabled?

Code: Select all

16:07:05:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign1.foldingathome.org:80
16:07:26:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign1.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign1.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
16:07:26:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign2.foldingathome.org:80
16:07:48:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign2.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign2.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
16:07:48:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign3.foldingathome.org:80
16:08:09:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign3.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign3.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
16:08:09:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign4.foldingathome.org:80
16:08:31:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign4.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign4.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
fz4z

Re: Port forwarding issues

Post by fz4z »

ohara wrote:Hi,

There is a public webserver in my network, a typical dst-nat port forwarding rule is enabled on the router on destination port 80 and server port 80, so that people from outside the network can connect to the webserver. When this rule is enabled, none of my folding units in the local network is able to get new work assignments (please see error message from the logs below). When I turn off the port forwarding rule on my router, each local network unit is able to get work assignments again. Can anyone shed some light on that? Why is FAH failing to get WAs if there is a webserver in the network and port forwarding enabled?

Code: Select all

16:07:05:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign1.foldingathome.org:80
16:07:26:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign1.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign1.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
16:07:26:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign2.foldingathome.org:80
16:07:48:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign2.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign2.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
16:07:48:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign3.foldingathome.org:80
16:08:09:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign3.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign3.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
16:08:09:WU00:FS00:Connecting to assign4.foldingathome.org:80
16:08:31:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign4.foldingathome.org:80': Failed to connect to assign4.foldingathome.org:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Turn on the port forwarding, and use the browser to access the web page "http://assign1.foldingathome.org:80/" to see if it can be accessed normally.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The F@h client uses ports 80 and 8080 to make connections with the servers for downloads and uploads. With port forwarding on for port 80, those connections can not be made as they are being directed to the web server. There may be a way to setup your network and its router to have this still work, but I am not enough of a networking expert to give guidance on how to do it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

This is weird ... can post a little schematic of your network ? I don't understand why a request to an external server would be redirected to our internal server ...

Basically, client trying to connect to the AS and WS is the same as a browser trying to connect to a website ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
aetch

Post by aetch »

ohara wrote:There is a public webserver in my network, a typical dst-nat port forwarding rule is enabled on the router on destination port 80 and server port 80, so that people from outside the network can connect to the webserver.
Port forwarding should not be affecting the traffic coming from your internal network, only the unsolicited traffic coming into your network.
Which makes me think that:-
1). your port forwarding rule is misconfigured, possibly attached to the wrong interface
2). it may be covering for a misconfigured DNS server, this is what should be redirecting your internal traffic to your web server

If you disable the port forward rule, can you still browse to your website using its name?
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage