A quick heads up (Fedora Kernel Updates)

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

psaam0001

A quick heads up (Fedora Kernel Updates)

Post by psaam0001 »

It was only a matter of time before the updates for the Linux kernel would affect the Nvidia drivers.

The one thing that keeps popping up when I try to re-install them to work with the new kernel, is an error message that it fails to run /usr/sbin/dkms build -m .

So, it looks like I'm going to be down a few days trying to get an answer to this issue for my primary folding system).

Paul
bikeaddict

Re: A quick heads up (Fedora Kernel Updates)

Post by bikeaddict »

There aren't any problems on my Fedora 34 system with 5.13.5 kernel and 470.57 NVIDIA drivers. I use the akmod package from the RPMFusion repo rather than installing the driver manually. It auto-installs the driver whenever a new kernel is installed. It's best to wait a bit until it can finish compiling and installing the module.

There are usually problems after reboot when both the kernel and driver are updated at the same time, which requires either a second reboot or manually stopping FAHClient, rmmod of all the nvidia modules, and modprobe nvidia before restarting FAHClient.
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

I even did a clean install of Fedora 34, and did the updates before trying to install the drivers (470.57.02). but still got that error message.

The only third party repository I'm getting updates from is Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek.

Paul
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

Update: I am now running with the NVidia GPU's. I just installed the drivers again,, but said no to using DKMS; and I ignored the compiler version warnings.

Paul
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

Further update: I was able to re-install the drivers with the DKMS option being accepted, after doing an update to a more recent kernel release.

This matter is now fully resolved.

Paul