Collection Server 140.163.4.200:8080

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

gunnarre

Re: Collection Server 140.163.4.200:8080

Post by gunnarre »

You can see the latest WU uploaded by each of your rigs here by entering your username: https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu

Mind you, statistics updates aren't instant, but it might help?
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Craig

Post by Craig »

I did give your link a try as well as the one given to me earlier, https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu and both seem to show the WUs are getting to the Collection Servers on the first attempt and give the expected Points so I know I'm completing the WUs which is the important thing. So that part is great!

The main thing other than it being extremely annoying to me is that I keep uploading the data for hours and hours. In addition to slowing down my PC doing actual work solving the other WUs, I also expect it is tying up their servers a bit especially when I've got 4 completed WUs sending data multiple times per hour! I'm considering at least just shutting down this PC as it is only running a 2060 Super however I'm occasionally getting the same problem on the new system I built that is running a 3090 OC video card and this is how the other PC started this mess. I'm an old fart and I don't game and both video cards were bought ONLY because of FAH as the CPUs do video and GPUs are not needed and I could just sell them and find a new hobby! I've completed over 10K WUs and will hit a Billion points in the next few days and that might just be a good time to call it a day! I might try one last thing by contacting the guy whose name and email show up in the Log File and see if he has a solution, hopefully! Thanks for your reply and sorry for this long rant!!!
JohnChodera
Pande Group Member

Post by JohnChodera »

Oh no, this is one of our servers. I've flagged this for the folks in the lab to investigate. Apologies for the trouble here.

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
Craig

Post by Craig »

John, thank you so much for your reply, I was seriously on the verge of shutting my PCs down. This grumpy old frat has spent way too much money on this to be so frustrated. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help to find the root cause of this, please let me know, especially if it is possibly something on my end!

Kind regards, and Thanks again,
Craig-WGHS-1971 on FAH
Craig

Post by Craig »

To be clear, it is currently not limited to the server mentioned! But that server seemed to always fail for me so it could easily have been observational bias. It doesn't happen every single time but most of the time and happens mostly on the PC running the 3060 Super if that makes a difference! I already paused the CPU on that PC to see if this old PC was overloaded. I should also mention that the PC is running on Windows 7!
sukritsingh
Scientist

Post by sukritsingh »

I'm taking a look at the MSK servers right now more closely and this looks like something I've seen before with some other users. One critical thing that may be worth investigating is your latency with the servers. Specifically, since you mention that it's happening across multiple servers (ie not specific servers all the time), and that it's a about slow upload times on an old win7 machine, it may be worth investigating if you have a latency or network stability issue. Previously when someone had issues like this, and the MSK servers are particularly sensitive to this for some reason, the issue could always be traced back to network stability! Do you think that could be a possible issue here?

I can confirm that, despite it taking a long time, your work is making it back to all the servers on top of being acknowledged by the work units! Thank you so much for your contributions!
fz4z

Post by fz4z »

Craig wrote:To be clear, it is currently not limited to the server mentioned! But that server seemed to always fail for me so it could easily have been observational bias. It doesn't happen every single time but most of the time and happens mostly on the PC running the 3060 Super if that makes a difference! I already paused the CPU on that PC to see if this old PC was overloaded. I should also mention that the PC is running on Windows 7!
Would you please tell us the name of Anti-Virus software and the name of Firewall software in your PC that is running on Windows 7.
Craig

Post by Craig »

fz4z wrote:
Would you please tell us the name of Anti-Virus software and the name of Firewall software in your PC that is running on Windows 7.
Sorry, I was trying to say all the uploading might be slowing down my computer running FAH and maybe your server with what appears to be unnecessary traffic! I didn't mean to say or imply that I suspect my internet connection was slow (it is) as I didn’t know that could be a cause of the problem until I read a post here. So if I'm using terms incorrectly or being unclear please let me know. I need to learn some of this server lingo stuff as I'm looking to buy some old server so I can get Plex and Unraid installed on something again. Yeah, I guess I'm just bored and making trouble for myself but at least it will distract me from my apparent obsession with FAH for a while! I wonder if changing my old computer from Windows 7 to some version of Linux would clear this problem and I have heard it is at least somewhat more efficient anyway but will leave it on Windows 7 if it can help you guys find the problem since other people are also having this problem.

But I'm now wondering if it is really your collection servers that are actually causing the problem as 8 out of the 9 WUs showing in my FAH app with errors are working on Project 18202 the oddball is stuck trying to send Project 17601 and I just had a WU from Project 18009 complete correctly on its first attempt so obviously have no clue! Google Speed test showed 28.3 down 2.8 up, but that was with all the unnecessary traffic still spewing out. They apparently don't show latency info. I also tried Spectrum's Speed test, my internet provider, they showed similar speeds, slightly higher but again no latency info. I thought speed tests used to show latency but my memory is fubar these days! I could send you a screen shot of Pings to the 2 Collection Servers involved if you want/need it. I'm not sure anymore how I can get latency info would a TraceRt help or can you tell me something that will get me the latency time. Spectrum pretty much sucks but I'm negotiating with them to get Gig internet if we can come to terms on installation... Then I'll change to Ethernet for most things except my home automation stuff and a guest network instead of WiFi I’ll probably get something like a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and whatever else I need which will probably be another nightmare for me LOL. The Windows 7 PC is just running the Windows Firewall and all FAH entries are set to allow. Both of my computers are using an Amplifi HD router and access points and it should be decent but it does have a firewall but both of my PCs are using it and are only about 10 feet away from each other and are on the same WiFi Network and the other PC running Windows 10 doesn't have this problem so can I discount the router's firewall as being the culprit? Let me know if I'm overlooking something there!!!

I do have Kaspersky running but I found that that could be a problem a while back and every entry mentioning FAH is set to allow. I will uninstall it if that would help you in testing!

I will leave everything as is until morning (I’m in the EST time zone) and then reboot to try and get rid of the damn errors unless I hear from you they are of some value in your troubleshooting.

Crap, I didn't mean to write a book on my life history here, sorry for this disjointed crap.

Thanks again for helping me and anyone else having this problem get it fixed!!!

Regards,
Craig-WGHS-1971 (FAH username)
fz4z

Post by fz4z »

Craig wrote:
fz4z wrote:
Sorry, I was trying to say all the uploading might be slowing down my computer running FAH and maybe your server with what appears to be unnecessary traffic! I didn't mean to say or imply that I suspect my internet connection was slow (it is) as I didn’t know that could be a cause of the problem until I read a post here. So if I'm using terms incorrectly or being unclear please let me know. I need to learn some of this server lingo stuff as I'm looking to buy some old server so I can get Plex and Unraid installed on something again. Yeah, I guess I'm just bored and making trouble for myself but at least it will distract me from my apparent obsession with FAH for a while! I wonder if changing my old computer from Windows 7 to some version of Linux would clear this problem and I have heard it is at least somewhat more efficient anyway but will leave it on Windows 7 if it can help you guys find the problem since other people are also having this problem.

But I'm now wondering if it is really your collection servers that are actually causing the problem as 8 out of the 9 WUs showing in my FAH app with errors are working on Project 18202 the oddball is stuck trying to send Project 17601 and I just had a WU from Project 18009 complete correctly on its first attempt so obviously have no clue! Google Speed test showed 28.3 down 2.8 up, but that was with all the unnecessary traffic still spewing out. They apparently don't show latency info. I also tried Spectrum's Speed test, my internet provider, they showed similar speeds, slightly higher but again no latency info. I thought speed tests used to show latency but my memory is fubar these days! I could send you a screen shot of Pings to the 2 Collection Servers involved if you want/need it. I'm not sure anymore how I can get latency info would a TraceRt help or can you tell me something that will get me the latency time. Spectrum pretty much sucks but I'm negotiating with them to get Gig internet if we can come to terms on installation... Then I'll change to Ethernet for most things except my home automation stuff and a guest network instead of WiFi I’ll probably get something like a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and whatever else I need which will probably be another nightmare for me LOL. The Windows 7 PC is just running the Windows Firewall and all FAH entries are set to allow. Both of my computers are using an Amplifi HD router and access points and it should be decent but it does have a firewall but both of my PCs are using it and are only about 10 feet away from each other and are on the same WiFi Network and the other PC running Windows 10 doesn't have this problem so can I discount the router's firewall as being the culprit? Let me know if I'm overlooking something there!!!

I do have Kaspersky running but I found that that could be a problem a while back and every entry mentioning FAH is set to allow. I will uninstall it if that would help you in testing!

I will leave everything as is until morning (I’m in the EST time zone) and then reboot to try and get rid of the damn errors unless I hear from you they are of some value in your troubleshooting.

Crap, I didn't mean to write a book on my life history here, sorry for this disjointed crap.

Thanks again for helping me and anyone else having this problem get it fixed!!!

Regards,
Craig-WGHS-1971 (FAH username)
Please try to completely uninstall Kaspersky, and then upload WU again.
I used Kaspersky before, it caused same problem "Received short response, expected 512 bytes, got 0" (most of the time, not every time) , after completely uninstalling Kaspersky and reboot my PC, all WU upload successfuly and never see this problem again.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

@Craig ... Before trying to completely uninstall Kaspersky (which may not be necessary) it may be worth your while having a dig around in the settings - as I dislike advising people to uninstall something that for the most part is useful/good thing to have if a change of settings can avoid the issue :) ... Obviously if changing settings doesn't work then "testing by uninstalling" may be necessary.

Somewhere I believe there is a setting specifically related to inspecting traffic (deep packet inspection) that if unchecked has resolved this issue for folders with similar issues - It appears K might make some change to FaH network traffic on occasions ... Apologies I can't post a screen grab as not a Ks user but a post of the screen in question (in german client) was shown on discord support channel - search for Kaspersky and a post by @toTOW that mentions deep packet inspection and links to the following https://discord.com/channels/5738706890 ... 8824171601 (something odd with how forum works and discord means this link keeps try to get me to re log in to discord - you may wish to go there and search yourself if you have a discord account) ... you may also want to check the settings shown in this thread https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php? ... ky#p352548 - not sure if this is the same thing.

... and just to be fair to K I will mention that other AV/Security products occasionally have similar issues (BitDefender springs to mind) ... and sometimes issues like this are a bit ephemeral and get resolved by product/signature patches/updates - in the past I believe folders have reported issues to the AV/Security product vendors and this may have helped resolution (but that is anecdotal).

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved as I know from bitter experience how irritating/annoying/enraging this type of issue can be !!
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Craig

Post by Craig »

fz4z wrote: Please try to completely uninstall Kaspersky, and then upload WU again.
I used Kaspersky before, it caused same problem "Received short response, expected 512 bytes, got 0" (most of the time, not every time) , after completely uninstalling Kaspersky and reboot my PC, all WU upload successfuly and never see this problem again.
I'm going to hold off a bit on uninstalling Kaspersky and rebooting. It seems like the app is just failing for me on 2 project numbers 18202 (8 currently stuck) and 17601 (2 currently stuck) which would seem to rule out Kaspersky unless there is a bug in that Project or it is just mining Bitcoins LOL! It's is working on a different project now so I'll wait a bit.

I did hit 1 billion points overnight so I got that going for me! :-) But FAH doesn't care about points they just need completed WUs which I agree with!
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Your assumption may be erroneous as av/firewall/dpi don't necessarily work as simply as that tbh ... past folders who have had intermittent issues similar to yours on only one/some servers and not every wu demonstrated that it was Kaspersky/Bitdefender by changing settings/removing which immediately rectified their issues ... Yes there may be other causes including isp/routing issues and possibly server issues - if it were the last the I'd expect far more reports of issues given the number of wus that get completed ... hopefully if it is Kaspersky and you wait long enough they will alter their signatures/heuristic and it will sort itself out

(Green/Bold = Active)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Neil-B wrote:@Craig ... Before trying to completely uninstall Kaspersky (which may not be necessary) it may be worth your while having a dig around in the settings - as I dislike advising people to uninstall something that for the most part is useful/good thing to have if a change of settings can avoid the issue :) ... Obviously if changing settings
I totally agree and I really don't see it being a Kaspersky issue for me as every mention made of FAH in it I have set to Ignore. Also with it only seemingly happening on specific WUs for me I think it might be a problem with the WU - Of course, I've also thought the problem was a specific server giving me the problem so obviously I have no clue. But I'm going with those WU are using my PC to mine Bitcoins and at some point my Billion FAH points will make me rich!!!!!

This mess has almost become fun as now I want to see how many of these WUs my PC will keep uploading before it crashes. I'm currently stuck with 10 of them and my log file is basically full of upload stats! At least it is happening on the PC with slower 2060 card!

Thanks for your suggestions!
Neil-B

Post by Neil-B »

It is not the mention of fah but the inspection of traffic that needs settings change .. from what I have gleened it is something in the nature of how Kaspersky does its traffic inspection that leads it under certain circumstances and with certain comms messages to alter them in a way that means they are not received/understood by FaH ... think of it a bit like spam labeling where the subject line of the email gets altered to include spam - it seems as if certain messages hit the dpi heuristics in a any that means they are altered by K.

As to mining bitcoin, whilst you are free to believe what you wish and you have now stated his more than once I would point out that even the thought that this might be happening is damaging to fah by association - FaH is a out folding peoteins and completing science and that is what people support whereas mining doesn't advance science or support knowledge generation.

Having inspected the science logs of the 18202 wus my kit quite happily folds and uploads I cannot see this as even a remote possibility !! ... add to that the loading profiles on my gpus and system for p18202 are wholly at odds with those that would be displayed if my kit was mining leads me to hope that your allegations of fah mining bitcoin are simply in jest ... all I can advise is that various experienced members of the volunteer folding support community have all concluded your issues are most likely down to Kaspersky but without testing this we will never know.

I am sure that the FaH team will continue to monitor/the servers but if the comms are getting interfered with or altered after they are sent out by the WS/CS then there is little they can do :(

I hope this resolves itself soon.
Last edited by Neil-B on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Green/Bold = Active)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Oh, I just noticed I've got a new instance of one of the Project 17601 WUs is folding! I've currently got 2 of those projects caught in the "infinite upload loop". Can't wait for it to finish and see if it completes correctly this time! Every other WUs except for those running Projects 17601 and 18202 complete correctly for me! I'll bet it doesn't, any takers?