Chip shortage will affect PCs, and GPUs

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
aetch

Re: Chip shortage will affect PCs, and GPUs

Post by aetch »

Let me know how you get on with using sudo inside a script without first initiating it outside of the script. It seems it would be an awfully big security hole if you could sudo something as root without confirming a password.
Personally I just run the script as root, everything in it needs root privileges anyway.

Like I said, I had to find my Xauthority file and ensure it worked because it wasn't located where other sites, including the one you linked, said it should be.

If by "coolbits" you mean "GPUFanControlState" then you are correct, once set it stays that way until changed or the system rebooted.
It's just easier to throw it in the script because its syntax was so exacting, it doesn't hurt performance to run it again and it needs to run at least once before "GPUTargetFanSpeed" can do its job.

One of the bugs of running the script at boot time is that it does not apply the fan speed settings. That system is currently hibernating so resolving it can wait.

Overclocking, go knock yourself out and come back with the results. Be that person to test your theory, find the quirks and pitfalls, find out if and where the online guides fail and how you work around them.

I'm not overclocking my cards, it's a game of diminishing returns.
Higher clocks = more power drawn to stabilise the signal paths = runs hotter = more cooling required.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
elblat

Post by elblat »

aetch wrote: I've just spent the last 3-4 hours pulling all of this together, I hope it makes sense and is useful.
I would love to hear some feedback.
Thank you aetch, this inspired me to finally automate my power settings at boot and was a handy reference for doing so. Now that it's about summer here I'm turning the machines off daily, and logging in to set power levels every time they boot up gets tiresome.
5800X + 4090 + Win11 | 5600X+ 3070 + 3070 + 2060 + Ubuntu 20.04 | 5600X + 3080 Ti + 3060 Ti + Ubuntu 20.04
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

yeah, you can't 'sudo' within an '.sh' file. But you can sudo the .sh file.
You can also use the options '-t' and '-tt' to bring up the sudo password window when executing an sh file, but it's kind of finicky.
The use of overclocking is merely to restore original boost clock speeds as much as possible, after a power cap.
Once you limit the power going to the GPU, and adjust the fan curve (both of which you usually need to enable the 'coolbits' setting after installation or driver install, to access these functions), the GPU will be running slower boost speeds.
This can be corrected with a mild overclock.
aetch

Post by aetch »

Coolbits - what exactly is this? I'd seen it mentioned a few times in different places and was lead to believe it was the 'GPUFanControlState' but I don't actually know.

Overclocking - I have no plans to overclock my Folding rigs. Feel free to test it yourself and post the results.

ImageImage
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

The overclocking isn't technically overclocking, but running the gpu closer to it's optimal state. As you're not really boosting the clocks beyond stock boost frequencies.
Coolbits (look up the procedure), is needed to give manual control over the fan speeds, gpu and mem speeds, and control the TDP the card runs at.
aetch

Post by aetch »

Overclocking - I disagree with both your 'optimal' and 'it technically isn't overclocking' suppositions. Over the past couple of decades I have dabbled with overclocking, I have rarely found it to be stable. Changing the power limit is to change the window in which your gpu can run stably, the gpu has built-in tables it can reference for clock speeds and target temperatures suitable for the power limit we have just set. What you're advocating is to change the window of stability and then push the clock speeds to the edge of, if not outside, this new window of stability.
Test it or drop it. Either way, I am finding this an unhealthy discussion and not one which I wish to continue with.

Coolbits - looks like I don't need it. I accomplished what I wanted to do without it.

ImageImage