[Windows] RX 590: Particle coordinate is nan (Resolved)

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

gunnarre

Re: [Windows] RX 590: Particle coordinate is nan (Resolved)

Post by gunnarre »

Projects with fewer atoms being simulated might not utilize all the compute units in a particular GPU. There is work under way to match the project to the GPU more closely. While not fully there, the Covid Moonshot is split into two tiers for small and large GPUs.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

Talgeeze wrote:The only odd thing I noticed is, for some WUs, the average GPU usage is quite low (~45%) ....
I expect that it's those proteins with smaller numbers of atoms. That GPU does best on larger proteins. If you give us a list of the projects, we might get the project scientist to configure his project to exclude assigning those proteins to GPUs like yours.

There's a project to optimize the assignments to make better use of the GPUs but it seems to be stalled.
Talgeeze

Post by Talgeeze »

bruce wrote: If you give us a list of the projects, we might get the project scientist to configure his project to exclude assigning those proteins to GPUs like yours.
Project 13446 would be one.
I'll keep track over the next few days for others like it, currently on 17434 and it has been sitting around 65 % GPU use for the first ~30% of the current WU then jumped to ~80 % and ETA was cut by like 25 %.