FAHControl+: Automatically pause when an app runs

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

tmontney

FAHControl+: Automatically pause when an app runs

Post by tmontney »

I apologize if this was posted here before. I searched but couldn't find a post. Over the last couple years, I've seen a few references to this and gotten a few messages about improving it. Since I'm fresh in this project again, I figured I'd make sure it was known about.

A couple years ago, I wanted FAHClient to automatically pause when certain applications were running. FAHClient didn't (and still doesn't) support this so I created something. The program is simple:

1) Browse for the application's executable
2) Pick the slots you want included

And that's it. Whenever you launch a program, FAHClient will pause. When the application exits, FAHClient will resume.

* Source: https://github.com/tmontney/FAHControl-Plus
* Releases: https://github.com/tmontney/FAHControl-Plus/releases

This is a Windows-only program. It's possible it'd run in WINE, but I haven't tested it. It's also possible to convert it to .NET Core, but I'd need Linux popularity to justify spending the time. Otherwise, I'm open to enhancements (as well as bug reports). (Be aware, my abilities go only as far as the FAHClient Telnet interface allows.) Please file any issues here: https://github.com/tmontney/FAHControl-Plus/issues
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: FAHControl+: Automatically pause when an app runs

Post by toTOW »

I think it fills a gap in functionalities that will be appreciated by gamers !

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

If anyone wants this for Linux, I could make a small bash script that starts on boot as a service and pauses folding when a particular application runs.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

This is not a built-in feature of the FAHClient for either Windows or Linux. We welcome the sharing of user-written add-ons.
moltra

Post by moltra »

Is this still working? I tried to get it to work, I can set it up and set the apps that I want to monitor for. But, it does not pause the folding. I am running Windows 11. The log shows Test connection was successful.