why am i not getting any COVID projects?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DK5gyvbt6YuDwRgw

why am i not getting any COVID projects?

Post by DK5gyvbt6YuDwRgw »

hello i have installed fah reacently and finished a few work units.

i set my cause prefrences to COVID but havent gotten a single covid related projects, i really wanted specifically to get involved in COVID related projects which is why i joined in the first place. i tried setting it to high priority but it didn't work. im getting only one of 3 projects : the helical hairpin orject, the Halorubrum lacusprofundi project and the myosin project.
is thare anything i can do ?

i also have another unrelated question. the current covid moonshot sprint 5 (1/2) was progressing at about 10% a day at the beginning but now at the end the progress has almost halted with only .001% a day why has it stopped? is it becuase of lack of volunteers or another technical issue.

edit: I never said that any moonshot projects are canceled! just that the progress bar (on the fah homepage) has stopped moving. and im interested why

2) after doing some reaserch i now understand that covid projects are only given to gpu enabled computers. as you correctly guessed my computer is cpu only.

but why dont cpu computers get covid projects ?
Last edited by DK5gyvbt6YuDwRgw on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Re: why am i not getting any COVID projects?

Post by Neil-B »

Welcome to folding and to the forums :)

As long as you have the preference set to covid you will get covid projects when they are available for your kit (but assignment rules are an arcane science and it depends very much on what type/species of gpu you have as to whther projects will be assigned to your kit ... It may well be that the current covid projects are not available to your kit ... iirc from another post recently the two gpu projects are split one for small/thin/slow gpus the other for big/fast/wide gpus - and the ones for big/fast/wide gpus have possible already been completed and therefore if you gpu is in that group it will be being assigned other projects until more covid research projects come online ... This may also play into your "unrelated" question as the initial fast progress may have been the large gpu folding community with big/fast/wide gpus crunching through their available wus and now the other wus (which are not appropriate for the big/fast.wide gpus are being folded by the small/thin/slow gpus ... there may be other reasons - sometimes the moonshot decides it has enough results even before 100% is reached and so it may have paused the release of any wus.

Not sure which projects as such you are getting (quoting project numbers is the normal as the descriptions can be used for a whole family of projects) but if you want a sanity check then if you post your log (including the top 100 lines or so that detail the setup) then someone can have a quick look and check - but it does sound as if you have just been hit by the current lack of covid projects
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I think he's a CPU only folder - the projects he's describing are the same I'm getting on my CPU.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

ah ok ... then iirc there aren't any covid cpu projects running at the moment? ... but someone from the team may well know this for certain
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH put a lot of work into preparing data for the COVID Moonshot project. (We were only one team of many working cooperatively.) I was disappointed when I heard that project was cancelled. I'm not sure of the details. (Reasons might have included the non-patentability of FAH's results or project funding or ... I need to refresh my memory.)

There are considerable amounts of scientific work needed to prepare project for analysis and then more to draw conclusions and write up results. We seem to have an abundance of Donor hardware and a shortage of scientists at the moment. That balance does change over time.

Then, too, most projects work especially well on specific types of hardware so if your hardware happens to work best on, say the current Cancer projects and somebody else's works best on the active COVID projects, that's what will be assigned. The overall science is what's important, which is why your choice is only a preference.

There are a number of active COVID projects but they may not be suitable for your hardware ... which you can describe here for comments. See the bottom line in my first post in this topic.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

bruce wrote:FAH put a lot of work into preparing data for the COVID Moonshot project. (We were only one team of many working cooperatively.) I was disappointed when I heard that project was cancelled. I'm not sure of the details. (Reasons might have included the non-patentability of FAH's results or project funding or ... I need to refresh my memory.)

There are considerable amounts of scientific work needed to prepare project for analysis and then more to draw conclusions and write up results. We seem to have an abundance of Donor hardware and a shortage of scientists at the moment. That balance does change over time.

Then, too, most projects work especially well on specific types of hardware so if your hardware happens to work best on, say the current Cancer projects and somebody else's works best on the active COVID projects, that's what will be assigned. The overall science is what's important, which is why your choice is only a preference.

There are a number of active COVID projects but they may not be suitable for your hardware ... which you can describe here for comments. See the bottom line in my first post in this topic.
The Moonshot is cancelled? :( I knew their funding request was rejected but not that the entire project has been cancelled.
bruce

Post by bruce »

We are still doing some small projects associate with moonshot. It's not clear yet that it's cancelled. I would be happy to say I misspoke if it resumes work.
inOr

Post by inOr »

Not only am I not able to enlist in the COVID project, but I was never presented with the opportunity of set my 'preferences' to that option. What is the present status of the COVID project? The discussion below confuses me. Is FAH only part of the Moonshot and out of the picture completely if Moonshot crashes? A clear, consistent explanation would be much appreciated.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Folding@Home is part of the COVID Moonshot project, together with labs that do crystalography, protein synthesis simulation, and testing of proteins on the actual virus.

The National Institutes of Health (a US Government agency) rejected a funding proposal from the Covid Moonshot, which is of course a big setback and cause for discussion, but I don't think this means that the Covid Moonshot project is closed down. I don't know if they can appeal the decision, but as far as I saw they're trying to still get more funding.

The Moonshot isn't the only Covid project running in Folding@Home though. There are other Covid projects being run, and also projects looking at other diseases. The active project list is here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

gunnarre wrote: The Moonshot isn't the only Covid project running in Folding@Home though. There are other Covid projects being run, and also projects looking at other diseases. The active project list is here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary
Since OP is a CPU folder, look at the core A7 projects (afaik, only one Covid CPU project uses the A8 core).

@OP: FAH is helping the moonshot project in developing a Sars-Cov-2 antiviral, but they seem to have funding issues (it would be great if we could get a status update on this).
Besides that, they're also simulating ALL proteins of this strain, as well as various proteins of the other strains (SARS1, MERS, ...) to identify druggable sites which can lead to pan-coronarius drugs.

There are some interesting papers:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 7.175430v1
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 0.420109v1

You can set your preference in the FAH client. Configure -> advanced -> cause preference. But this is only a preference. I guess there are currently more folders asking for Covid projects than are available. FAH tackles various problems in protein folding and disease research.
ajm

Post by ajm »

rafwiewiora
Scientist

Post by rafwiewiora »

Folks nothing's cancelled Moonshot-wise, John is simply having to move the AWS server to another instance so we're winding it down in prep for that. Will be like a week or so.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

rafwiewiora wrote:Folks nothing's cancelled Moonshot-wise, John is simply having to move the AWS server to another instance so we're winding it down in prep for that. Will be like a week or so.
That's a relief :D