General Clarification for Newbie

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Callaghan

General Clarification for Newbie

Post by Callaghan »

Newbie Alert
Whatever i'm doing appears to be happening but i have a few questions.
If Folding is running and my computer descides to do a RESTART what, if anything, is lost.
Currently CPU:3 (whats the 3) is running but GPU status is 'waiting for idle'. Which idle might that be, not the computer status i guess. Why is it waiting and for what.
When looking at stats there are two Donor Callaghan's can these be consolidated. There appears to bo no Callaghan in the team Playstation Universe.
Is there some system guide /schematic to give a laymans view of whats happening.
Cheers
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Re: General Clarification for Newbie

Post by Neil-B »

3 will be three cores running on the cpu slot ... you probably have a four core cpu and the client has left one core for servicing the gpu slot

Usernames are not unique ... Neither are Username / Team pairings ... to get unique you need to get a passkey ... I would guess your points aren't showing yet and that the two callaghan's are other people ... once points are lodged in the stats system they are never changed (well actually under one very special circumstance that I can think of they jave but that was when someone was acquiring points in ways they were not supposed to) so you will want to sort out a passkey asap

When you installed and setup fah you will have chosen to fold only on idle - or you have used the web control to set folding to light on which the gpu only folds on idle ... as to what counts as idle it depends on your os - iirc for windows it is whn the screensaver is on (most people set the saver to blank screen)

You will find lots of good stuff in this new folders forum :) ... the welcome topic has quite a lot of stuff https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

For every GPU, Folding@Home reserves one CPU thread to feed it data so you have 3 threads for CPU Work Units. (F@H calls them CPUs but I think they are threads)
Each Work Unit has a check point interval, you could adjust that interval on CPU WUs, I think GPU WUs are hard coded at 5% so you could lose as much as 5% or as little as 0%.

I am not aware of a system guide, but we answer questions!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:Each Work Unit has a check point interval, you could adjust that interval on CPU WUs, I think GPU WUs are hard coded at 5% so you could lose as much as 5% or as little as 0%.
The checkpoint interval is set by the project owner. 5% seems to be a very common setting but I've seen other values assigned to specific GPU projects. (See the log posted here where the checkpoint interval is 2%)
Callaghan

Post by Callaghan »

Thanks for your replies.
I do have a passkey and Bonus Status currently shows the following.
WUs Finished WUs Expired % Finished Bonus Active
36 0 100.00% True

I did run the system for a few days before getting a passkey, however the Web Control stats currently show ...

Donor: Callaghan
Date of last Work Unit 2021-02-05 14:36:04
Total score 1,925,638
Total WUs 66
Overall rank (if points are combined) 192,233 of 2,790,999
Active clients (within 50 days) 2
Active clients (within 7 days) 2

Contributions by team
Team Default (No team specified)
Score 1,924,405
WUs 61
Date of last work unit 2021-02-05 14:36:04
Active clients (within 50 days) 2
Active clients (within 7 days) 2

Team PlayStation Universe
Score 1,233
WUs 5
Date of last work unit
Active clients (within 50 days) 0
Active clients (within 7 days) 0

My CPU Is Intel Core i5 8400 @ 2.80GHz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology which i beleive has 6 cores.
I have not knowingly allocated a numer of cores to be used for folding but do have web control power set to light.
My GPU is 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)

Hope this appears to be all in order.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Power = "light" will configure you CPU slot to use half the available threads and set the GPU to run on "idle".

Idle uses the signal provided by the OS. Depending on your OS, that probably means the GPU will only fold when your mouse and keyboard have not been used for a while.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

Yes this CPU has 6 cores and 6 threads, on Light you use 3 threads. If you move to Full or Medium, it will use more and the GPU will fold even as you use the PC.

The CPU is so modern it uses the very fastest math F@H supports, called AVX2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... tensions_2

The GTX 1060 running 24/7 will do about 600,000 Points Per Day.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... 6-gb.c2862
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

Your OS manages CPU Folding using task priority. Using all 6 threads of the CPU will have very little impact on perceived system speed (foreground). Folding on the GPU can affect perceived performance more which is why the "idle" setting is recommended.