High CPU usage Radeon Software from 20.5.1 to the latest new

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JarasCz

High CPU usage Radeon Software from 20.5.1 to the latest new

Post by JarasCz »

Hello,

I have issue with newer Radeon drivers, still from 20.5.1 I have high CPU usage 15-20% on Radeon Software Host Application and "compatibility" in Radeon don't showing on how good GPU and CPU Im running on...
The problem still occurs even on the latest version of the drivers 20.11.2 for now.
Version 20.4.2 is the last working drivers for me without this issue.

I read that a lot of people had a similar problem with high CPU usage since the release of version 20.5.1, they reported various fixes, which I tried, but it still did not solve the problem for me.

I tried completely uninstall all drivers with AMD CleanUp Utility and DDU software too.
I tried deleting folders in documents in Video folder named "Radeon ReLive", Capture folder and recreate them.
I tried turn on and than turn off stream, capture and other settings in Radeon.

So I wonder what's wrong, this version must contain some major changes, even if this update begins the installation requires a restart of the computer after installing the Radeon Software drivers.

Problems can be seen on the screenshots I attached below. CPU high usage in the task manager. And in the screens with Radeon Software at "Improvement advisor - game compatibility" you can see it doesn't show how good components i have, so I think the problem will be with something in this.

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
# amd drivers performance issue adrenalin cpu usage cpu problem cpu error ddu drivers high cpu usage issue radeon software 20.11.2 host application

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by JarasCz on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
gunnarre

Re: High CPU usage Radeon Software

Post by gunnarre »

First, are you sure that the CPU is actually loaded to 15%, or is it just an active wait state that makes it look like the CPU is working, but it's just sitting there waiting?

AMD doesn't have the 19.30.02 driver on the website anymore, but Asus has it here: https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/ ... _download/
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
JarasCz

Post by JarasCz »

gunnarre wrote:First, are you sure that the CPU is actually loaded to 15%, or is it just an active wait state that makes it look like the CPU is working, but it's just sitting there waiting?

AMD doesn't have the 19.30.02 driver on the website anymore, but Asus has it here: https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/ ... _download/
Thank you for response. CPU is unfortunately really working in real time and usings 15-20%.

Thank you for searching of that drivers, since then I deduced from this that version 19.30.02 is the version of the graphics driver and not directly version of the Radeon Software, so then I found out that I had to be on Radeon's version 19.9.1 or 19.9.2. So I tried a few newer updates than this one, few newer ones upon worked, the final update WITHOUT this problem was 20.4.2. On the next update 20.5.1 or later, there is already a problem with CPU usage for me. Unfortunately, I did not solve it.
So now I'm going to the latest version, which I can use without the CPU usage, ie 20.4.2 is the final one for me, for now.

So I will edit this topic now, with update of my right issue.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'd really be more comfortable if you posted the top ~200 lines of FAH's log.txt where the client detects and reports what hardware it sees. See below.
JarasCz

Post by JarasCz »

bruce wrote:I'd really be more comfortable if you posted the top ~200 lines of FAH's log.txt where the client detects and reports what hardware it sees. See below.
We can say, the client detects the hardware, in any case it does not offer hardware improvement - game compatibility. See the screenshots that I newly added to the topic.

I'll look at that FAH log, I just have to install the affected drivers.