Folding@Home Client Control Android App

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

gs60

Re: Folding@Home Client Control Android App

Post by gs60 »

I think it may be that the new version has tightened up the timeouts used for tcp/ip events. I've heard it caused issues with the netbsd tc/ip stack.
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

Ok thanks for the tip!
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Just tried the app this evening. Can't get past the grey box, unfortunately. Does it seem to matter if there's a password on the connection? I've tried it with/without, no change. The search always finds my PC, so I know that the initial connection is being made. But I'm not seeing anything in reference to the connection in the logs (should there be something?).
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

Did you by any chance remove the first slot (ID 00) from the client? My app incorrectly assumes there will always be a slot 00.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

WatsOnTV wrote:Did you by any chance remove the first slot (ID 00) from the client? My app incorrectly assumes there will always be a slot 00.
Actually, I did. It was the CPU slot; didn't need it once I added the 2nd GPU (ran too hot anyway).
Is there a workaround? I'll be your guinea pig, if you need one.
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

I've had this issue with a few people actually! You can simple remove your GPU slot and add it again, that will change the ID to 00 :)
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I love easy fixes - thanks a bunch!
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Hmmm...it's almost working. Both of my GPUs are displaying, but the information is (partially) backwards. My GTX 1070 is on slot #0, the GTX 1050 on slot #1. The data is being displayed correctly, but the names of each slot have been reversed. When I did as you requested above, I deleted the 1070 (was in slot #2) and it was reconfigured as slot #0. I think I'll try removing them both in the morning and seeing what happens.

UPDATE: success! Thanks again.
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

Hi again everyone! I've just pushed an update to the play store (should be live in a few hours or so) which should address some issues some users were having (e.g. issues when CPU gets deleted, clients being deleted on search) and a cool little animation when adding a new connection.
Hopfgeist
Hardware configuration: Dell T420, 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2, NetBSD 10, SunFire X2270 M2, 2x Xeon X5675, NetBSD 9; various other Linux/NetBSD PCs, Macs and virtual servers.

Post by Hopfgeist »

Just tried the app today, and it works nicely. Found all clients in my local network, and adding the three external ones worked really well. Thanks a lot, it is a great help in keeping track of my folding clients from the living room.

I have a couple of suggestions, if I may be so bold.
  • Can you add a totaliser, estimating total PPD for all clients?
  • Could you add additional sort criteria, e. g. ETA, PPD, ...
  • Is it possible to add a list view instead of the tiles view? Maybe with configurable columns? Name, %progress, TPF, ETA, PPD or something like that?
  • Can you add the name of the currently running core variant?
These are just humble suggestions, that I personally would like to see, but even as it is I find it very useful already. Thanks again! :D

Cheers,
HG.
Dell PowerEdge T420: 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

Great suggestions! I've already got plans for the total PPD and different sort functions, but I hadn't even thought of list views. Not too hard either! However, I don't think I understand your fourth suggestion. Mind elaborating?
Hopfgeist
Hardware configuration: Dell T420, 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2, NetBSD 10, SunFire X2270 M2, 2x Xeon X5675, NetBSD 9; various other Linux/NetBSD PCs, Macs and virtual servers.

Post by Hopfgeist »

WatsOnTV wrote:Great suggestions! I've already got plans for the total PPD and different sort functions, but I hadn't even thought of list views. Not too hard either! However, I don't think I understand your fourth suggestion. Mind elaborating?
Thanks for responding so quickly. Looking forward to any developments.

The fourth point is about showing whether CPUs are running an a7 or an a8 core. E. g. FAHControl shows "FahCore: 0xa7"

I have some systems where the PPD difference is significant between those cores, and that would let me see quickly if a low PPD value is because of the "slower" core work units, or if there's something else slowing it down. But it's not hugely important, I just thought it might be easy.

Cheers,
HG.
Dell PowerEdge T420: 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

Ah, I understand! That's pretty easy to do. Keep an eye out for the update!

Thanks for your suggestions :)
Foliant

Post by Foliant »

I have a oooooold Tablet I wish it could be used for a F@h-Monitoring-Station.
Sadly that Tablet is running Android 4.4.4.

Is there a special reason for requiring Android 5 ?

Regards,
Patrick
24/7
1x i5 3470 @2Cores
1x GTX750 (GM107)
2x GTX750Ti (GM107)
WatsOnTV

Post by WatsOnTV »

Hi Patrick, I use Flutter to write the app, which has a minimum android version of 4.4.1, however many plugins I use require Android 5. There isn't a lot I can do about this, sorry :(