Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

momus_98
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Re: Are We Doing It?

Post by momus_98 »

kwthom wrote:Perhaps the answer wasn't obvious before the slight tangent took over from the grey beards among us...

Are the results of our collective folding efforts going to be a part of this first wave of vaccines now going thru final approvals (at least here in the U.S.)?
I apologize for the tangent; that distraction was mine.
Hopfgeist wrote:
kwthom wrote:Perhaps the answer wasn't obvious before the slight tangent took over from the grey beards among us...

Are the results of our collective folding efforts going to be a part of this first wave of vaccines now going thru final approvals (at least here in the U.S.)?
I think the answer is no. I don't think any of the companies that came up with a vaccine used any results from F@H, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

F@H mostly provided base research and project moonshot aims at therapeutics, but not vaccines.

I think F@H is still a viable and very useful effort, but we shouldn't take credit where it isn't due.

HG.
You're right. But I fold anyway. My question at the time was rhetorical. Now that the weather has gotten chillier, my PC folds 24/7.

I am but one person; I do not belong to a team. I fold for the good of it. I was just tired that day I asked my question.

I know it is unlikely that any of the F@H research went into the COVID vaccine. Again, I was tired & annoyed like billions around the world. I just wanted to know.
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

FYI, while the current vaccines may not be using the research by F@H, a future vaccine/treatment might:
...Specifically, we find that some of Nsp16’s motions lead to the formation of a ‘cryptic’ pocket in a region of the protein near the active site, but human CMTr1 does not form this pocket! Importantly, when this pocket is open, the active site is closed, meaning Nsp16 likely cannot bind to the necessary molecules that it needs to disguise its genome! Therefore, if someone can develop a small molecule to stick into and wedge open this pocket, it would likely disable the protein. And, we find that Nsp16 proteins of other coronaviruses also have this pocket, so targeting this pocket could knockout other coronaviruses (like SARS, MERS, etc.)...
Source: https://foldingathome.org/2020/12/16/sa ... potential/
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you haven't already done so, read about Project Moonshot. It's focusing on new and better treatments.

The vaccines currently being distributed had completed most of their development cycle and were well into the testing phases before FAH's research publications were released. Nevertheless there are still plenty of areas for fruitful research. Corona viruses evolve over time and we have to be ready for those potential changes. Although nobody really knows yet, there's a pretty good chance that the virus will learn to evade our present treatment plans.