Old version download?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JimboPalmer

Re: Old version download?

Post by JimboPalmer »

Kililea wrote:Apparently I'm not allowed to post files (while being asked to) and the gaslighting approach in these forums is tiring. I give up, too much effort while being told I'm not seeing what I'm seeing. I'll keep going by what the client says is happening on the off chance it's accurate and assume if it's not then it doesn't matter anyway.
Our attempts to get the logs are so we can see what the computer is seeing, so as not to gaslight you. Here is a series of directions about how to post a log for various OSs you may have.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

If I had to guess, and at this point that is all anyone can do, sometimes you had a PassKey and sometime you didn't. That would resemble your situation. However, it sounded like you over wrote the version that was slow, so hounding you about the log for that version seemed counter productive, and I didn't.

The older version make you happier, that is most important. So long as you don't start claiming the new version is slower to others, I see no issue with you being happy.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Really sorry if you felt people were gaslighting you ... that was never my intention and I am sure it was not what other people intended ... all we were doing is explaining how the client software and the cores are programmes to work and that what you are seeing should not be happening/possible or at least not for the reasons you believe they are.

In the signature block for bruce above there is a link to guidance on how to post logs ... and honestly people will want to see them to try and understand what is causing the effect you are seeing ... it is something that hasn't been reported before and which is anomalous and so people will want to help but need the client logs to diagnose this ... people have been asking for the logs not because they disbelieve what you are witnessing but because they want to work out what is causing this effect.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

As a retired programmer, (not for F@H) I always built debug logs into my software. Hearing what the user thought the computer was doing and reading what the computer thought the human was doing, greatly shortened response time to fix the error.

(I don't speak French but supported sites in Quebec, having logs really helped. F@H logs are often at least partially in other languages, but still help solve the volunteer's problem)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Kililea wrote:Apparently I'm not allowed to post files (while being asked to) and the gaslighting approach in these forums is tiring. I give up, too much effort while being told I'm not seeing what I'm seeing. I'll keep going by what the client says is happening on the off chance it's accurate and assume if it's not then it doesn't matter anyway.
There is nothing stopping you from posting files here, there is a limit to the size of text files though. But the information needed can easily be shown with extracts from files that large.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

ajm wrote:This morning, I swapped GPUs on my machines and a 1050ti landed in a PC running FAH 7.6.13. During over three minutes, at the first job allocated to that 1050ti, its PPD was around 2.2M (10-12 times its possible output). :shock: :D

They are right, Kililea, the version of the client doesn't affect the processing speed, at all. This software has nothing to do with it. But at the beginning of the folding, the estimated PPD can go all over the place.
Please ignore the PPD during (more than) the first 3 minutes of processing. As I said previously, that's not long enough for FAH to measure enough progress over enough time span to make a reasonable projection of progress.

Since you say you swapped GPUs and machines, did you confirm that the PCIe bus is the same speed?
ajm

Post by ajm »

Honestly, I can't remember exactly. I have had a lot of hardware changes, voluntary and not, in the course of last month. There might have been a change of PCIe speed, from 16x to 8x, though.