Can not suspend to RAM

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GNA

Can not suspend to RAM

Post by GNA »

Dear developers,

in version 7.5.1 I can not suspend to ram while the application is running. When I quit it, it works again.

I like the idea to donate my computing power while I use my PC. But I don't want to keep it running just for F@H.

There was an old thread from 2013 that said it is disabled by design. Is this still the case? It is really annoying me having to stop F@H every time I want to suspend.

If there are any logs or further information, please comment and I'll try to obtain them.

Thanks a lot!
bruce

Re: Can not suspend to RAM

Post by bruce »

The suspend code has been authored by the Operating System designers. They have a (IMHO Mistaken) idea that the purpose of a video board is to display video. Since "every" program is capable of refreshing the information in its on-screen image, there's no need to generate a checkpoint of whatever the GPU is doing.

FAH can store the state of each WU by doing a PAUSE before you ask the OS to take a checkpoint of the RAM image of each active program. You don't have to pause the CPU slot since it doesn't care if the power to the GPU is interrupted.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can not suspend to RAM

Post by Joe_H »

If, and only if, your are only doing CPU folding, there is an option you can set to allow your system to sleep/suspend/hibernate. If you are doing GPU folding, if you do not Pause the slot before sleeping, the WU can fail as contents of a GPU's memory, shaders, etc. is not preserved in the various sleep modes. The folding core will sometimes detect this properly on wakening and restart at the last checkpoint, but only some of the time.

To do this, add the following option as an Extra Client Option under the Expert tab of Configure in FAHControl:

disable-sleep-when-active set to 'false'

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3