GPU clock, TDP drops, but GPU Load still 100%

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
CaptainHalon

GPU clock, TDP drops, but GPU Load still 100%

Post by CaptainHalon »

Noticed my PPD dropping on one of my boxes, so I took a look at GPU-Z. My TDP is usually 215W and GPU Clock around 1900MHz with temps in the mid to high 70's. But it's now showing 1600MHz with around 50% TDP/110W and temps in the low 60's, and GPU load is still 99% or so. Tried reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers in case there was an issue, but no effect.

Also, the dropped occurred during the same WU. It was folding as usual, then it dropped, all while on the same WU/project. Anyone experienced this and know the cause?
CaptainHalon

Re: GPU clock, TDP drops, but GPU Load still 100%

Post by CaptainHalon »

Extra info: If I start up a game, my clocks and power consumption jump back up and remain there. So I don't think it's a problem with the card itself.
CaptainHalon

Post by CaptainHalon »

Fixed it. I swapped out the CPU today, which I didn't think would be related at all. But just in case, I decided to reinstall the AMD chipset drivers. Rebooted, now the GPU is working at full power. Have no idea why that was related.
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Post by gordonbb »

CaptainHalon wrote:Noticed my PPD dropping on one of my boxes, so I took a look at GPU-Z. My TDP is usually 215W and GPU Clock around 1900MHz with temps in the mid to high 70's. But it's now showing 1600MHz with around 50% TDP/110W and temps in the low 60's, and GPU load is still 99% or so. Tried reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers in case there was an issue, but no effect.

Also, the dropped occurred during the same WU. It was folding as usual, then it dropped, all while on the same WU/project. Anyone experienced this and know the cause?
Sometimes iCUE and other such apps (Game Launchers do this too apparently) will bug out and force the GPUs to base clocks and not let them boost.