550 ti WU's?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Dan_Patterson

550 ti WU's?

Post by Dan_Patterson »

I have four box's running. The fourth has an 550 ti, but can't download wu's. Is this a shortage of wu's for 550 ti? The PC has a fresh install of win 10 with updates. Nvidia driver is 391.35.
Interestingly when I installed windows F@h was the first/only install, besides nvida driver that windows automatically downloaded (391.35). I ran f@h then it loaded cpu and gpu and starting folding. I let it run 30 mins to check thermals. I turned it off and updated windows (from base) to current version. When I tried to run it, it said missing opencl.dll file. A quick google search said to reinstall video driver and f@h app, So i did. Download nvidia driver 391.35 and now f@h starts (cpu not gpu) without error message, but says can not download wu. I know there is a shortage, I know its an old card, but it was working.

thank you
Dan_Patterson

550 ti WU's?

Post by Dan_Patterson »

I have four box's running. The fourth has an 550 ti, but can't download wu's. Is this a shortage of wu's for 550 ti? The PC has a fresh install of win 10 with updates. Nvidia driver is 391.35.
Interestingly when I installed windows F@h was the first/only install, besides nvida driver that windows automatically downloaded (391.35). I ran f@h then it loaded cpu and gpu and starting folding. I let it run 30 mins to check thermals. I turned it off and updated windows (from base) to current version. When I tried to run it, it said missing opencl.dll file. A quick google search said to reinstall video driver and f@h app, So i did. Download nvidia driver 391.35 and now f@h starts (cpu not gpu) without error message, but says can not download wu. I know there is a shortage, I know its an old card, but it was working.

thank you
JimboPalmer

Re: 550 ti WU's?

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!
Dan_Patterson wrote:nvida driver that windows automatically downloaded (391.35).
This may be your Problem, F@H needs a driver from the vendor, not Microsoft.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... 50-ti.c274

However, this shows that the GTX 550ti does not support OpenCL 1.2 which is a prerequisite to folding. So it may never fold.

The latest driver that supports a GTX 550 ti is 391.35, here it is from Nvidia https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/132845

Best of luck, but it may never fold, just too old.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

even if it does fold, the time taken to return a unit may net you very very low points.
single 1070

austinlepri

Post by austinlepri »

Hey Friend.

I have several systems running F@H. One, being many years old and using a 550ti. It has worked for several weeks, receiving and churning out WU's, albeit slow. The current most likely issue, honestly is the lack of GPU work units from the huge influx of users. My other GPU's, a 970 and 2080ti both have been working on and off in terms of receiving work, so do not fret. Attempt the other users updates to the last stable driver for the card, and then refresh every now and then to see if you get work. The card itself is old, but still within the realm of being usable.

Best of luck!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Dan_Patterson

Can you please post your log file. Ensure that you have copied the System configuration which is present at the start of the log file: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=26036 :)

I am aware that there's a massive demand for GPU WUs and supplies are a bit limited. However, work is being done in to resolve this.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Dan_Patterson

Post by Dan_Patterson »

thank you for the replies.

jimbo I said I downloaded the drivers from nvidia and that I have had it working before.
Halo I dont care about the points only completing WU's. I realize its old and slow but I have folded with it in the past.
ausin what do you mean by "refresh every now and then"?

again thank you
austinlepri

Post by austinlepri »

Dan_Patterson wrote:
ausin what do you mean by "refresh every now and then"?
So I strictly control everything from the advanced control panel of F@H. As you probably know, when a folding slot, such as your GPU, attempts to grab a work unit and fails, it has a cool down before it makes a next attempt. If it has tried repeatedly, that wait can sometimes jump to several hours. If you pause the folding slot for the gpu, then start it again, it resets the next attempt cool down. While I wouldn't suggest abusing this, every now and then if next attempt row shows as being really high, refresh it back down to a lower wait time. It just might allow new units to come to you sooner!

Not sure if it will help, but it might be worth a shot! For instance, my GPU slot is already on attempt 24 without getting work. Just will take some time.
Dan_Patterson

Post by Dan_Patterson »

Thank You. I will try that.
Dan_Patterson

Post by Dan_Patterson »

The "refresh" trick worked. It is now working on a WU. It says it will complete in 2 days (ouch), but its working. Thanks for the help.
austinlepri

Post by austinlepri »

Glad to hear that helped get it working. Mine also have gotten work units so a new batch must have been created this afternoon/evening. Happy folding!