FAH advanced window stuck on updating or connecting.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mandus

FAH advanced window stuck on updating or connecting.

Post by mandus »

as you can see in the image the client is stuck on updating.

i tried deleting the F@H config folder but then it doesnt work unless i reinstall
i tried to close the client from task manager then it gets stuck on connecting.

i can't afford reinstalling or rebooting the PC everytime this happens.

mandus

Re: FAH advanced window stuck on updating or connecting.

Post by mandus »

one solution i figured is to run FAHClient as admin (the cmd window) and then start FAHcontrol.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

That solution causes other problems by not opening files in proper locations.

We would need more information on how you install the client software, whether you are running a firewall or antivirus software, and the like to help you get this going right.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mandus

Post by mandus »

Joe_H wrote:That solution causes other problems by not opening files in proper locations.

We would need more information on how you install the client software, whether you are running a firewall or antivirus software, and the like to help you get this going right.
i installed the client normally, i have the FAHclient folder in two places the installed one (C:\Program Files (x86)) and the folder made by the software at (C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming).
it feels like there is conflict where the FAHclient doesnt read the config file?

i run no antivirus, just normal windows 10 security and firewall and have made exception to all executables.
ras47

Post by ras47 »

I'm having this exact same issue on a Mac Mini running OSX 10.15.4 Catalina. I too simply clicked the installer and let everything install automatically. I have folded already on this computer, but suddenly nothing is happening. The FoldingViewer populates with my username but it then sits idle.
ras47

Post by ras47 »

OK, I restarted the Mac Mini and after about 5 minutes I was folding once again. Is there a long pause between work units? Am I simply being impatient? No idea how long between my last work unit and the current one. I run the Mac Mini headless 24/7 just for Folding@home. No other apps open. It's a dedicated Folding device. I had been running SEIT@home for a year on this machine but SETI is shutting down. So I switched over to Folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

With the large number of people coming to contribute their computer processing, the increase was faster than they could expand the servers. So it is common to what a bit between WU's after one is completed and the next starts.

mandus

Post by mandus »

Joe_H wrote:With the large number of people coming to contribute their computer processing, the increase was faster than they could expand the servers. So it is common to what a bit between WU's after one is completed and the next starts.
i saw this topic: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=33531

i feel like it could fix my issue, i will try it later tonight.

the issue simply feels like the client can't read the configuration for some reason and have to restart or reinstall ??? but why would a restart fix it?
Last edited by Joe_H on Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed topic link
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

If that doesn't fix your setup, please post the first 200 or so lines of your log file. Directions on how to find it are posted here for Windows - viewtopic.php?p=261082&f=24#p261082. You can do it from either the log window of FAHControl, or if that does not connect, the directions include how to navigate to the actual file.

MobileGamesMotion
Hardware configuration: Windows 7, Intel i7-6600U CPU on a laptop

Post by MobileGamesMotion »

Maybe quit using the icon in the taskbar, delete the config file in roaming, then restart by searching folding@home in start menu?
#StayAtHome #AlertNotAnxious #FoldForCOVID :) :idea: :egeek:
Basic help stuff:viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26036 | Find Your Stats:https://stats.foldingathome.org/donors
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
mandus

Post by mandus »

Joe_H wrote:If that doesn't fix your setup, please post the first 200 or so lines of your log file. Directions on how to find it are posted here for Windows - viewtopic.php?p=261082&f=24#p261082. You can do it from either the log window of FAHControl, or if that does not connect, the directions include how to navigate to the actual file.
it was solved by the mentioned approach
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=33531