Suggestion to ease server scaling issues

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mrbillium

Suggestion to ease server scaling issues

Post by mrbillium »

If the team is struggling with building more hardware servers please consider cloud based virtual servers.
The first one will take a few hours to build, but once done many systems will allow you to replicate that server very fast - minutes

I use DigitalOcean and I can stand up a new server from a an existing server's snapshot backup in about 2 minutes with a new public IP & certificate based secutity, ready to go.

Given their strong support network I suspect you would get lots of help from them if you ask for it.

Bill
bruce

Re: Suggestion to ease server scaling issues

Post by bruce »

We put up three Azure instances and it is now so busy people can't get in. (It was really fast until it got overloaded when it got tied into our Assignment Servers.)

Demand has repeatedly grown faster than we can increase Supply.

They're getting 56,808. / 10,800. / 1,002. hits per/hr
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Does Azure have something similar to AWS where it will Auto-Scale? So that based on a certain threshold, it will fire up a new instance, and shutdown again when not needed?

I dont' know what is involved with setting up a new instance, so this might not be feasible, of course ... if not, are more instances going to be coming online then the 3 you just added?

BTW, you guys are, IMHO, doing a great job of trying to manage, and reduce, the load ...
mrbillium

Post by mrbillium »

Have you reached out to Azure?

I know how we all hate to ask for help but everyone wants to find a solution and once you explain what you are doing and how important it could be, you may find the Azure folks willing to support you to solve the problem in short order with as many instances as you need - perhaps at no cost too.
andwalk

Post by andwalk »

Guys, without trying to be too much of a shill I work with a group that provides scaling technology that works with Azure plus bare metal providers interchangeably. We do it already for game servers and we would be happy to figure if we can help you scale.

We are based around the idea of containerization and can spin up Azure instances on demand. I know you have hardware requirements on diskspace. It would require engineering to containerize and use our orchestrator API but it could solve your issue.

Check out the website for Gameye game session hosting (Google it, I can't post links as I am a new user).
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

@andwalk I have forwarded on your offer

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ouhman

Post by ouhman »

mrbillium wrote:If the team is struggling with building more hardware servers please consider cloud based virtual servers.
The first one will take a few hours to build, but once done many systems will allow you to replicate that server very fast - minutes

I use DigitalOcean and I can stand up a new server from a an existing server's snapshot backup in about 2 minutes with a new public IP & certificate based secutity, ready to go.

Given their strong support network I suspect you would get lots of help from them if you ask for it.

Bill
Hello,

Could you provide me the steps needed in order to fully backup snapshots please? I am folding on ec2 and sometimes the WU doesn't have time to complete and gets terminated :/
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

This thread is about work servers - the machines which you download and upload work units from. Are you asking about cloud folding on Amazon EC2?
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
ouhman

Post by ouhman »

gunnarre wrote:This thread is about work servers - the machines which you download and upload work units from. Are you asking about cloud folding on Amazon EC2?
Yes sorry if I went out topic just had the impression that my issue was related. Yes I was referring to cloud folding on Amazon EC2.